They were my first boat projects and I had no idea how bad the stuff
was. Most of the voids are invisible until you suddenly find a weak
spot. I built a nesting dinghy from 1/4' marine ply and am very happy
with it.

William R. Watt

) writes:
They were my first boat projects and I had no idea how bad the stuff
was. Most of the voids are invisible until you suddenly find a weak
spot. I built a nesting dinghy from 1/4' marine ply and am very happy
with it.

You can actually find the voids in lauan underlayment by shining a strong
light on it. I ran a small lamp with a metal shade which concentrated
the light over it. The voids show up as red streaks.

I can't find lauan underlayment locally any more. They sell meranti, which
is better quality with no surface checks or edge voids, or virola
which is light and flexible but more suceptable to rot.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

Brian Nystrom ) writes:

Gorrilla Glue and other polyurethane glues work really well IF AND ONLY
IF you use them properly in an appropriate application. To get good
results, you need to have a very close fitting seam and strong enough
clamping to prevent the glue from expanding in the seam (expansion
outside the seam is normal and not a problem). They should NEVER be used
to fill gaps! Edge gluing luan panels in a S&G boat is NOT a good
application for poly' glues.

You can't blame the glue for the failures of the builder.

You have to differentiate between the polyurethane adhesives and
polyurethane mastics. The latter are the "liquid nails" type which come in
the tube for application with a caulking gun and do fill gaps. I squeeze
out a bead and spread it with a putty knife. It's still no excuse for
sloppy cutting and fitting. I knew a fellow who rough cut everything and
filled any gaps with polyester resin under fibreglass cloth. Just makes
for poor joins.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Dave Allyn

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:16:26 GMT, "Roger Derby"
wrote:

I bought a bottle for ship model building. Worthless. Even though the
seams are fit quite well, the high clamping pressure is not available.

After reading the directions carefully, I gave it to my son.

Can anyone suggest a task where it would be superior to other adhesives?

Possibly butt blocks? clamping pressure is dependant on how much
stuff you can pile on top of it...

email: dave-afo at mchsi dot com

please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Brian Nystrom

Roger Derby wrote:
I bought a bottle for ship model building. Worthless. Even though the
seams are fit quite well, the high clamping pressure is not available.

After reading the directions carefully, I gave it to my son.

Can anyone suggest a task where it would be superior to other adhesives?

Roger

I've found that it works very well for laminating and edge gluing
tightly fitted seams. It's waterproof, so it works in applications where
moisture exposure is likely. While epoxy works well in similar
applications, poly's don't require mixing and thickening. They won't
damaged edged tools as you work the wood. Surface cleanup is easier,
since you can just scrape off poly' residue. It's also good for bonding
oak, which can be problematic with epoxy due to it's acidity. I use
poly's where these characteristics are important. A perfect example is
laminating the blanks and oak edges for kayak paddles that will be
carved primarily with hand tools.

The important thing with ANY adhesive is that you understand how it
works so you can use it correctly and for appropriate applications.
There is no "universal" glue that works well for everything.

William R. Watt

I use it as a replacement for urea forlaydehyde (plastic resin) adhesive.
The polyurethane cures at 50 deg F instead of 70 deg F and the pieces can be
repositioned up to 45 minutes after application.

Like the other poster I've used it for laminating, ie gluing two pieces of
plywood together to make a thiker piece, using weights while curing.

I mostly use polyurethane mastic with screws in chine batten constuction
instead of the more costly taped seam construction with epoxy (although
David Bead at www.simplicityboats.com) has been experimenting with
polyuretyane taped seam construction. I use inexpensive zinc plated wood
screws which eliminates the need to buy clamps to hold
pieces togehter while curing. Sometimes I remove the screws after the glue
has set and fill the screw holes with drops of polyester resin. I like to
build small, cheap, lightweight, boats I can pickup and carry in one hand.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Unfortunately, I just followed the directions on the bottle of Gorilla
Glue that really do not emphasize the required clamping. It may have
some applications but as it seems tricky to use, I will avoid it. I
lalso wonder if it is really "waterproof" since I seem to be seeing it
give up on prolonged saturation.

W. Watt:
Your use of a light to spot voids is interesting.