Brian Whatcott

Default SouthCoast22 - Make a Mast.

I got tired of looking for a way of shipping an aluminum mast for the
SC22 down from Denver, so after work on Friday, I drove an hour to
Lawton, and looked over what wood, Sutherland had in stock.

They had two by fours of #2 northern spruce in 8, 12, 16 and 20 ft
lengths

I puilled a couple of straight 16 footers and one for spare, and a
couple of 12 footers.

Today I ripped the 12 and 16 foot ends on a 3 ft diagonal and glued
the splice making two 25 ft 2 X 4s

If I find the router chuck adaptor for 1/2 to 1/4 in bits tomorrow, I
will groove them internally and glue them together, prior to shaping.

Costs so far:
spruce 3 X $9 + 2 X $6 = $35
two saw horses at $12 = $24
router bit $16

....about $80.

Oh yes: I picked up 6 stainless dinner knives from Walmart ($1) for
tangs

Happy Days!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Steve

I have built a half dozen wooden masts over the past 40+ years, from dingy
to 36ft ketch. One was even solid 8" dia. solid spruce (laminated) while the
others were hollow holed or box section.

My point; It is always a pleasure to work with fine wood.

Sounds like you on the right track.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions