Phil

Default test a depth sounder out of the water?

"ahoy" wrote in message
ahoy. I have a new2me, never been wet boat on the hard. Is there a way
to see if the depth sounder works? The readout thing powers up if you
hook 12v to it. Can you somehow test the transponder widget? thanks as
always and smooth sailing.

I used my pool , maybe a neighbor has one?

Brian D

You should get soundings if you run it dry. It will display odd information
though, like noise and depths that don't make any sense. Other than that,
there is not real way to test a sounder and transponder out of the water.
Putting it in an aquarium or other similar 'test' tanks results in too many
reflections and you again get odd information. If I were you, I'd be happy
that it appears to come on and work OK and then go get the boat wet and try
it out. I pulled an old old Humminbird out of the attic recently and went
through these steps, trying to see if it worked OK for my son's 14' skiff
....hard to tell when dry, but it came up and ran OK and it worked fine in
the water. Been using it all summer.

Brian

"ahoy" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:52:51 -0500, "Phil" wrote:

"ahoy" wrote in message
. ..
ahoy. I have a new2me, never been wet boat on the hard. Is there a way
to see if the depth sounder works? The readout thing powers up if you
hook 12v to it. Can you somehow test the transponder widget? thanks as
always and smooth sailing.

I used my pool , maybe a neighbor has one?

I think it would displace a little too much water,.. if I could get it
in there. Thanks though. I'm never sure how specific to be but I
should mention that the transponder, if that's the term, is a
permanantly installed through hull.