Dave Cannell

Default Siroco sailboat

I'm wroking on a friend's sailboat, a Siroco (~15', cuddy cabin). The
centerboard pivot pin has rusted thru and sheared off.

The pivot pin nut is glassed in on the port side of the trunk, I have the
top of the nut exposed, but of course I'm working thru a 6" inspection
port 8-( Although the top of the nut is exposed and I can get a pair of
vise-grips on it I can't get the sucker to move.

Has anyone had experience with the Siroco (don't remember who made it) in
this area? Is this just a normal nut and washer or perhaps does the nut
have a wider washer welded to it making it too large to simply slide out?

I figure I have to grind everything away anyway to do the final repair
(epxoied 3/4" ply along the sides of the trunk sealed with 5200 and a bolt
all the way thru with nut and washers, all properly gooped up to prevent
leakage) but since I'm working with a Dremel tool and a 1" cutoff wheel I
thought I'd ask to see how much more grinding I've got to do 8-(
Unfortunately my 4" Makita grinder is in Phila while I'm in Hartford, CT
although I'm not so sure I want to try and manouver a grinder in there
with one hand 8-(

Any suggestions welcome, Pirate_Dave

Sailboat as powered cruiser? BllFs6 General 14 November 16th 04 04:15 PM
??? M.L. Browne General 0 May 17th 04 04:38 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum General 0 May 14th 04 04:16 AM
Repost - this is so good it deserves to be read more than once Simple Simon ASA 12 October 20th 03 10:33 PM
A tough question for Jeff and Shen44 otnmbrd ASA 53 July 30th 03 06:14 PM