greenvelvetsofa

Default foam backed marine vinyl

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can recommend a source for good, relatively thick (about
1/8") foam-backed vinyl?
Mail / online order is OK, but if in the Seattle area or Western Washington
that's even better ~~

Thanks so much!
best,
Denise

Garland Gray II

Our last boat had that stuff all over the interior. Ultimately the foam
breaks down-- from heat--and the vinyl falls off the surface, and you can't
glue it back. Is this what you are faced with?

I recommend a closed cell foam material that I think will last a lot longer.
I got this from Defenders (this was about 7 years ago, but I assume they
still have it) I'm thinking their supplier was some thing like Hough Marine
who was in your neck of the woods.

Important: Do not use regular contact cement. Get 3M water base contact
cement from NAPA or elsewhere. Costs more than double, but goes twice as
far. It won't try to dissolve the material or fry your brains.

"greenvelvetsofa" wrote in message
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can recommend a source for good, relatively thick

(about
1/8") foam-backed vinyl?
Mail / online order is OK, but if in the Seattle area or Western

Washington
that's even better ~~

Thanks so much!
best,
Denise

Garland Gray II

I forgot to say., this stuff is about 1/10 in. thick, and is all vinyl.

greenvelvetsofa

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message

Our last boat had that stuff all over the interior. Ultimately the foam
breaks down-- from heat--and the vinyl falls off the surface, and you
can't
glue it back. Is this what you are faced with?

No, actually I need the stuff for a completely non-marine related
application (backing for Sixties-style guitar straps - trying to make them
as authentic as possible & 1/8" vinyl is what they used back in the day.)

Here is an example: http://www.axestraps.com
But I was told that that type of vinyl was used for marine purposes so
thought I'd ask here! :-)

I recommend a closed cell foam material that I think will last a lot
longer.
I got this from Defenders (this was about 7 years ago, but I assume they
still have it) I'm thinking their supplier was some thing like Hough
Marine
who was in your neck of the woods.

I'll check into that! Thanks so much for the suggestion. It just be just the
thing.

cheers & gracias !
Denise

greenvelvetsofa

[...]

oops! I didn't give the entire url of the example:
http://www.axestraps.com/images/ref/burggeo.jpg (whole strap)
http://www.axestraps.com/images/ref/burggeo2.jpg (close up of backing. the
ends are leather.

cheers ~
Denise

greenvelvetsofa

"ahoy" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:25:31 GMT, "greenvelvetsofa"
wrote:

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can recommend a source for good, relatively thick
(about
1/8") foam-backed vinyl?
Mail / online order is OK, but if in the Seattle area or Western
Washington
that's even better ~~

Thanks so much!
best,
Denise

I think it's called Seattle Fabrics? 89th and Aurora (highway 99)
about a block off the east side of 99. Call first if you can.
(206) 525-0670
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/products.html
Or he
http://www.garysupholstery.com/products.html
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/produc...SubCatID_E_489

Thanks so much! I will check into these. I forgot all about Seattle Fabrics,
have been there but it's been a long time.

cheers & muchas gracias ~
Denise

Garland Gray II

Ohhh
Not that's a turn about. Usually I'm looking for a non-marine product for a
marine use !

No, actually I need the stuff for a completely non-marine related
application (backing for Sixties-style guitar straps - trying to make them
as authentic as possible & 1/8" vinyl is what they used back in the day.)

Here is an example: http://www.axestraps.com
But I was told that that type of vinyl was used for marine purposes so
thought I'd ask here! :-)

2005 West Marine catalog announed [email protected] General 23 March 5th 05 02:48 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
paradise cove trip Brien Alkire ASA 31 February 15th 04 11:17 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM