Brian D

Well sorta. The ABYC regs state that a gas tank cannot JUST be supported by
plastic foam. It's OK to foam a tank in, but you have to provide additional
supports. Probably because the long term strength of the foam, for support,
probably degrades.

Brian

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
.. .
Brian Cleverly wrote:
Interesting, Peggy...

Quoting from Title 33:

" Subpart J--Fuel Systems

Sec. 183.550 Fuel tanks: Installation.

(a) Each fuel tank must not be integral with any boat structure or
mounted on an engine."

Would this mean that a monel fuel tank glassed into a sailboat keel would
be illegal ?

D'd if I know...I only remembered tripping over some fuel tank regs while
searching for waste plumbing regs, and since I was having a slow
afternoon, went looking for 'em again.

However, If do seem to remember something in my search that said glassing
of foaming in any fuel tank is a no-no...but I could be wrong, and I'm not
gonna hunt it down again.

--
Peggie
----------

Brian D

Yes ... a bit drastic. I did some research in my copies of the ABYC and
USCG regs to check my memory and you're right ...nothing says you cannot
have the tank in the same compartment as the engine. That said, note that
you are disallowed from mounting a tank ON an engine. I think that's what I
was remembering. You do have to meet the ventilation requirements that I
stated though.

Brian

"Dan Mills" wrote in message
Brian D wrote:

Here in the US, you cannot place the fuel tank in the same compartment as
the motor(s).

REALLY! Thats a bit drastic isn't it?
Must make fitting a day tank a real pain, especially if you like having
the
day tank above the level of the injector pumps (allows the use of gravity
feed to the engines). Or does this only apply to your main tanks, in which
case I really don't see the point, as a decent day tank will contain
enough
fuel for quite a respectable fire!

Since it sounds like you are using gasoline, it might be worth
your while to have a professional look at it since regulations vary
country-by-country.

Ohh, is this petrol specific, that makes more sense now, I was thinking
diesel or heavy oil rather then petrol (Which IMHO is just wrong for
anything except outboards).

Regards, Dan (who is very glad he lives where the coastguard don't try to
pull this crap).

Oddgeir Kvien

Dan Mills wrote:
Brian D wrote:

Here in the US, you cannot place the fuel tank in the same compartment as
the motor(s).

REALLY! Thats a bit drastic isn't it?
Must make fitting a day tank a real pain, especially if you like having the
day tank above the level of the injector pumps (allows the use of gravity
feed to the engines). Or does this only apply to your main tanks, in which
case I really don't see the point, as a decent day tank will contain enough
fuel for quite a respectable fire!

Since it sounds like you are using gasoline, it might be worth
your while to have a professional look at it since regulations vary
country-by-country.

Ohh, is this petrol specific, that makes more sense now, I was thinking
diesel or heavy oil rather then petrol (Which IMHO is just wrong for
anything except outboards).

Since I am about to install the tank in my boat as well I have read
through the rules that the CE marking in Europe are based on.
A gasoline tank can not be installed in the same compartment as the
engine, there must be a gas/air tight wall between them. For a diesel
tank there are no such rules.

--
Oddgeir
I'm building a boat: http://www.oddgeirkvien.com/baat

Fuel tank fitting question. Chris Mares General 5 February 6th 05 01:28 PM
Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM
97 sea ray sundancer fuel tank? Run all 8 General 1 April 17th 04 07:34 PM
Homemade water tanks. Backyard Renegade Boat Building 11 October 27th 03 01:07 PM
Fuel Tank Clog....Please help!! Doug Trowbridge General 3 July 18th 03 02:33 AM