Chris

Default Handheld GPS - Recommendations Sought

Hi there,

does anyone have recommendations
which handheld GPS to get?

Any reason to prefer a specific brand,
features I should be looking for, etc.?

Thanks a lot,

Chris

Chris

get one that has expandable memory, and they offer a full range of map
software for it.

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there,

does anyone have recommendations
which handheld GPS to get?

Any reason to prefer a specific brand,
features I should be looking for, etc.?

Thanks a lot,

Chris

Jere Lull

In article .com,
"Chris" wrote:

does anyone have recommendations which handheld GPS to get?

Any reason to prefer a specific brand, features I should be looking
for, etc.?

I enjoy my Garmin.

Handy feature is the light list that shows most of the navigational
aids.

Ability to hook up an external antenna is nice, but gives another place
for corrosion to creep in.

Water resistant is even nicer.

I can also fully operate the unit one-handed, which I can't do when the
buttons are below the screen.

The cheaper units don't have those features and take longer to lock on.

--
Jere Lull
Larry

"Chris" wrote in
oups.com:

does anyone have recommendations
which handheld GPS to get?

My Garmin failed, once. I sent it back for repair...out of warranty.

Garmin said my firmware was old and simply sent me a brand new one....no
charge.

Guess which brand I'll buy next time....(c;

Thanks, Garmin....

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email:
Read about them he
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...3&view=printer
Mike Sr.

I've been using the Garmin "GPS72" for over a year now and really happy
with it. It was low cost (under $100), designed for marine use with
all the navigation markers needed to cruise the Florida (or any other)
waters. It's also simple to use and can be programed to show what you
like to see for your personel usage. It is waterproof with an external
connector for boat battery power. If you decide to mount it at the
helm it has a quick disconnect type bracket that allows removal but
keeps it in place during heavy weather.

Mike, Pensacola, FL.

Bill

Look for the *auto save* function in case of low battery.
You can't always be around a 12v power source or remember to change the
batteries, everyone forgets at times.

A friend has a handheld GPS that doesn't do that and we loose our track
every now and then, but only the ones you wanted to keep. You know the
routine Mr. Murphy. But other than that he has no real complaints with the
Magellan unit. It does the things other posters mentioned, including
external mount, 12v dc adapter and maps downloadable from the web or CD
depending on area of travel.

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there,

does anyone have recommendations
which handheld GPS to get?

Any reason to prefer a specific brand,
features I should be looking for, etc.?

Thanks a lot,

Chris

Leonard

I use the Garmin iQue 3600. It's a combo GPS/PDA, so you can use it for
many different things. It's a bit high in the dollar department, but
worth every cent.

I recently bought Garmin's Outdoor Navigator software for $20.00. You
can down load any or all of their nav charts that run on it FREE. I've
downloaded all of the nav charts, but none of their topo charts. The
Outdoor Navigator program only holds 200 charts, so a 1GB (or higher)
SD Memeory Card leaves a lot of extra space for phone numbers and other
info you want to keep track of.

The iQue 3600 may be high priced, but with a $20 nav program and free
charts? Think about it.

If you check eBay you can sometimes get really good deal on the iQue.
You can also find gear to run 12vdc and computer connection it it
doesn't come with the eBay iQue.

Good luck and happy navigating.

Harlan Lachman

In article .com,
"Chris" wrote:

Hi there,

does anyone have recommendations
which handheld GPS to get?

Any reason to prefer a specific brand,
features I should be looking for, etc.?

Thanks a lot,

Chris

Like everything else, it depends on how you plan to use it.

Will this back up a hard wired system? Is it a stand alone? Will you use
it just in boat or in cars too?

How many different bodies of water will it be used on?

Is connectivity to a computer (for waypoint or route back-up or synching
with another device important)?

Use should determine purchase (although price has to factor in too).

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
~^ beancounter ~^

garmin is nice...i use it on the boat & flying.....

Chris

Harlan Lachman wrote:
In article .com,
"Chris" wrote:

Like everything else, it depends on how you plan to use it.

Will this back up a hard wired system?

No.

Is it a stand alone?

Yes.

Will you use it just in boat or in cars too?

Both.

How many different bodies of water will it be used on?

Mostly Southern Californaia, occasionally elsewhere (worldwide).
I'll take it with me when I travel.

Is connectivity to a computer (for waypoint or route back-up or synching
with another device important)?

Yes.

Thanks,

Chris