Ron Wierszewski

Default Need help with painting a wooden boat

Ten years ago I built a Bolger designed sailboat...the "Teal". I did this
while working 6 days a weeks..often 10hrs/day. Before painting the hull with
System Three products, (WR-155 primer, WR-LPU Topcoat) I tested the
materials on a small movable seat that fits in the boat. I could not get a
uniform, sagfree finish, using a brush. I gave up the project in disgust.
Now retired , Im back at it again. I'm looking for ideas on what I should
use now, nothing exotic, a one part paint, that will hold up on a bare
plywood surface. This boat will be stored in my garage...seldom in the
water. Thanks in advance. Ron

William R. Watt

exterior grade water-based latex house paint works well on boats.
it sluffs off gradually instead of blistering and peeling like oil based
paints tend to do.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Jonathan

I have had great success with Interlux 244 sanding sealer followed by
Rust-Oleum enamel. The "magic" in Rust-Oleum is in their primers, beyond
that they are simply a very, very good fish oil based enamel with which
you can get great results by using a good brush and brushing the paint
our properly.

The 244 sanding sealer fills the grain in the wood and small
imperfections. Spread it on with a brush, heavily, sand it smooth again
and paint.

Good luck

Jonathan

Ron Wierszewski wrote:
Ten years ago I built a Bolger designed sailboat...the "Teal". I did this
while working 6 days a weeks..often 10hrs/day. Before painting the hull with
System Three products, (WR-155 primer, WR-LPU Topcoat) I tested the
materials on a small movable seat that fits in the boat. I could not get a
uniform, sagfree finish, using a brush. I gave up the project in disgust.
Now retired , Im back at it again. I'm looking for ideas on what I should
use now, nothing exotic, a one part paint, that will hold up on a bare
plywood surface. This boat will be stored in my garage...seldom in the
water. Thanks in advance. Ron

Julien Mills

Jonathan wrote:
I have had great success with Interlux 244 sanding sealer followed by
Rust-Oleum enamel. The "magic" in Rust-Oleum is in their primers, beyond
that they are simply a very, very good fish oil based enamel with which
you can get great results by using a good brush and brushing the paint
our properly.

Hmm, a friend of mine whose father owns an old wooden boat claimed
he used Rust-Oleum. I always wondered why not use a 'real' marine
paint, but, maybe he knew what he was doing all along.

Jonathan

Ron Wierszewski wrote:

Ten years ago I built a Bolger designed sailboat...the "Teal". I did
this while working 6 days a weeks..often 10hrs/day. Before painting
the hull with System Three products, (WR-155 primer, WR-LPU Topcoat)
I tested the materials on a small movable seat that fits in the boat.
I could not get a uniform, sagfree finish, using a brush. I gave up
the project in disgust. Now retired , Im back at it again. I'm
looking for ideas on what I should use now, nothing exotic, a one
part paint, that will hold up on a bare plywood surface. This boat
will be stored in my garage...seldom in the water. Thanks in advance.
Ron

Jonathan

Enamel is "forgiving" too, as much as any paint is.

Jonathan

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10 for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr