Default Grumman sailing canoe

I have an old 18' Grumman aluminum canoe that I grew up with canoeing
most of the rivers in FL. It has enough room to carry 4 people or to
carry camping equipment for 2. It seems like it might be possible to
design a good sailing rig for it. Maybe use a lateen rig, outriggers,
retractable leeboards instead of a dagger board, design a good rudder.
It might be the ideal rig to explore the local shallow salt water. Any
thoughts on this?

Mungo Bulge

Go for it
It's been done before and well documented. I suggest
http://www.paddlin.com/fivelakes/balrig.html
http://www.enter.net/~skimmer/building/building.html
Good luck
wrote in message
oups.com...
|I have an old 18' Grumman aluminum canoe that I grew up with canoeing
| most of the rivers in FL. It has enough room to carry 4 people or
| carry camping equipment for 2. It seems like it might be possible
| design a good sailing rig for it. Maybe use a lateen rig,
outriggers,
| retractable leeboards instead of a dagger board, design a good
rudder.
| It might be the ideal rig to explore the local shallow salt water.
Any
| thoughts on this?

Roger Derby

Would you be reinventing that round thing with an axle thru it? Sailing
canoes have been around for several times longer than I have and that's a
long time.

A typical rig would involve a low lateen sail, lee boards, a rudder
controlled with a line running around the boat and terminating to a
cross-wise tiller on the rudder head. No outriggers.

Putting "canoe sailing rig" (without quotes) into Google got over 51,000
hits including plans and how-to books.

It is a fun thing to do.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an old 18' Grumman aluminum canoe that I grew up with canoeing
most of the rivers in FL. It has enough room to carry 4 people or
to carry camping equipment for 2. It seems like it might be possible
to design a good sailing rig for it. Maybe use a lateen rig,
outriggers, retractable leeboards instead of a dagger board, design
a good rudder.

Sheldon

I made a rig for exactly that canoe, a short rigid mast, a lateen rig
and 2 1/2 ply leeboards and a ply rudder hung off an A-frame off the
stern. With 2 people sitting it was an extremely stable boat

The lateen 45 sq ft rig was hoisted thru the short rigid mast made of
1 1/2 emt pipe using the bracket on floor and cross piece with small
locator pins into holes in gunwales.

the only thing is the canoe being long was slow to come about. have
used ground sheet and 2 saplings many times using just the stern oar
for steering on canoe trips

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:27:20 GMT, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

On 4 Jul 2005 11:38:32 -0700, wrote:

I have an old 18' Grumman aluminum canoe that I grew up with canoeing
most of the rivers in FL. It has enough room to carry 4 people or to
carry camping equipment for 2. It seems like it might be possible to
design a good sailing rig for it. Maybe use a lateen rig, outriggers,
retractable leeboards instead of a dagger board, design a good rudder.
It might be the ideal rig to explore the local shallow salt water. Any
thoughts on this?

Having rolled a 15 ft aluminum canoe with three adults and a five year
old aboard (which was evidently overloaded in a brisk lake chop) two
weeks ago, I am unenthusiastic. The canoe hull form is not
well-suited to the sideways moment of a sail. Still it can be done,
and has been done.
Percy Blandford showed sail designs for his canvas and wood kayaks
certainly. The plans are still to be had from a NY supplier.

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK

William R. Watt

Sheldon ) writes:

the only thing is the canoe being long was slow to come about.

Long narrow St Lauwrence skiffs were rigged with lateen sails and raced
without rudders. shifitng weight forward sinks the bow and helps round up
and tack. I find on my narrow boats which I sail without rudders that
jamming a paddle under the lee bow (bow pry) is good for tacking in waves.
I use a daggerboard which I raise to help tack. On one boat (Dogskiff)
when the daggerboard is raised 3/4 it will round up and tack on it's own
when there are no waves to pound through. The same would probably be true
of leeboards.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm