Glenn Ashmore

Default Oversizing mortice for inlaid hardware?

I am main=ing up the CNC codes to inlay the hatch latches. I am going to
cut the below deck sole hatches to fit exactly but I am wondering what the
normal practice is for cockpit lockers and swim platform hatches. Should I
cut them for an exact fit or allow about 1/8" around the perimeter for
sealant? All the hatches are 3/16" teak over 2 layers of 1/2" 1088 meranti
and the latches are similar to the ABI 330011 lift handle latches except
cast stainless.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Mungo Bulge

I'm no expert, but I know that if these latches are cast SS they will
either be cleaned up off hand or left as they come from the mould
(outer edge profile) and if you make an exact mortise for an non exact
inlay, there will be slight gaps that you will not like (the rest of
us probably would never notice, but you will) so what we do in the
wood working field is we intentionally make the mortise larger as you
intimated (1/8") to give a "shadow line" around the inlay. If you fill
the gap with a sealant it will be very hard for you to notice a
difference between a 7/64" gap in one side and a 9/64" at some other
place. Were as it is very easy to see a 1/32" gap in one spot if the
fit is supposed to be tight.

Shawn
Just my 2 cents worth

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
|I am main=ing up the CNC codes to inlay the hatch latches. I am
going to
| cut the below deck sole hatches to fit exactly but I am wondering
what the
| normal practice is for cockpit lockers and swim platform hatches.
Should I
| cut them for an exact fit or allow about 1/8" around the perimeter
for
| sealant? All the hatches are 3/16" teak over 2 layers of 1/2" 1088
meranti
| and the latches are similar to the ABI 330011 lift handle latches
except
| cast stainless.
|
| --
| Glenn Ashmore
|
| I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or
lack
| there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com
| Shameless Commercial Division: http://www.spade-anchor-us.com

Glenn Ashmore