Sailct41

Me either, I have looked at the colors trying to find the right counter
current but that was under the middle of the bridge. Once in I would play
the normal game of close to the St. Francis when the current was foul but it
never crossed my mind to not be in the ship channel coming under the GG.
And that was on a CT-41. On the other hand, I love sailing those Santanna
22's and was surprised that it didnt surf. It might have been the skipper
but why would anyone sail where people are surfing?

Scott

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:39:32 -0700, "Brian D"
wrote:

Why is there breakers and big waves if the water is 4 to 5 fathoms deep?
Normally, breakers from normal (or even large) swells don't roll over

until
the water is closer to 20' deep or so. The way the water was rushing out

in
front of the breaker in the sequence of photos, it looked very shallow.

Any
clue why this is happening in that spot?

Probably because it is a tide rip as much as it is a breaker. I have
seen very disturbing looking breakers in 60 feet of water near Machias
Seal Island, where the tide rushing in and out of the Bay of Fundy.

After double-checking location, we sailed right through them (in a
J35, not a 22-footer). It was no problem--actually quite entertaining.

It has never, even fleetingly, occured to me to go south of that tower
on the GG bridge, however.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

J36 Gjo/a

"Nuke the gay whales for Jesus" -- anon T-shirt

Being a Gulf of Mexico sailor, this entire sequence of pictures puzzled
me ( I saw 113 pics in the sequence). Was this an isolated wave or was
the camera angle so odd that it didnt capture other waves? After the
initial capsize, it looked as if if maybe there was another wave and
then NO MORE. Huh?
Was this a tidal bore coming into the bay so it produced one or two
isolated waves? In the entire sequence of pics, there were no more
waves of any size at all. What was this?

After looking at many wave photos on this page, I think wave behavior
in that location is different than I am used to. This place seems to
have a very long period between waves with nearly flat water between
them, weird.

Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
After looking at many wave photos on this page, I think wave behavior
in that location is different than I am used to. This place seems to
have a very long period between waves with nearly flat water between
them, weird.

Was probably a 10-14' swell day with 13-15 second period. You have to
remember the waves hitting here have a couple of thousand miles of open
ocean to build in.

Sal's Dad

After looking at many wave photos on this page, I think wave behavior
in that location is different than I am used to. This place seems to
have a very long period between waves with nearly flat water between
them, weird.

Was probably a 10-14' swell day with 13-15 second period. You have to
remember the waves hitting here have a couple of thousand miles of open
ocean to build in.

Keep in mind these are not traditional breakers, rolling into a beach, but
swells coming through a narrow channel - not very shallow water, but still a
bar with suddenly shallower depths.

For more info:
http://www.surfline.com/travel/surfm...fort_point.cfm

It appears the tide was coming in, so the boat was caught in one breaker -
rolled and dismasted - continued drifting under the bridge where the wash
of a second wave rolled it again, and then into the relatively calm water of
the bay.

Brian D

And swells coming in through a narrow channel accelerate through the
constriction. Some won't have been large enough to break, while others will
be. I think that might be why there's a long period between rollers in the
picture sequence (of an obviously dangerous place, else why was someone
rushing to get the camera out BEFORE anything bad happened?). Also, ships
moving through the channel disrupt the swells, or create their own too.

Brian D

"Sal's Dad" wrote in message

[...]

Sal's Dad

The only chart I found online is at
http://historicals.ncd.noaa.gov/historicals/histmap.asp ; go to "Entrance to
San Francisco Bay" 1974 # 5532 - download 5532_1-1974 and zoom in.

Zooming in on the southern end of the bridge, you can see that between Fort
Point and the South Tower it shoals - from 200-300' in the main channel,
to 30' or so where the capsize occurred. The shipping channel under the
main span stays 200-300'. Once past the bridge, the harbor widens
immediately; presumably the first pier is the one seen in the later photos.

Sal's Dad

nk.net...