Gary

That guy didn't do a very good job on his bottom painting..... ;-)

Great Pictures

Brian D

I'm surprised the charts still indicate a channel if there isn't one. I was
also surprised at how the person in the boat (can't seen person #2) was
sailing into a nasty situation and not even looking around. Certainly the
beach and rocks, along with the very high possibility of shoal water, was
evident right in front of them? And to just sit there and not even be
concerned? Must've been VERY new boaters...

Brian

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Depends. But since this is the South Tower of the Golden Gate bridge and
Baker Beach, the ocean will make it into very small pieces. They probably
read the chart and saw the South Channel designation and used it. There
is
no South Channel and not for a lot of years. You can get through if lucky
and a calm day. They should of gone through the middle of the gate, using
the commercial ship channel. Still can get rough but lots more water
underneath and the waves do not break normally. And lately the seas have
been big swells. 10'-15'ers.
Bill

"Pierre" wrote in message
. ..
Do you have to retreive that boat, or can the owners just leave it there?

Must be expensive to retreive

?

"Brian D" wrote in message

I like how the fool in the boat is sitting there like he's sipping tea

while
a big breaker builds up behind him. In the latter photos, you can even

see
through the shallows and see the shore rocks looming in the foreground.
This guy never read Darwin, but should've... waste of a nice little
boat
tho'

Brian D

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:38:03 -0400, P.Fritz wrote:

What the hell were they thinking?

Uh, my guess is that they weren't. ;-)

Calif Bill

If you sail very near the rocks it is deep enough most of the time. It is
actually about 5 Fathom on the charts. NOAA chart 18645 I actually use
Waterproof Chart #84 which is the reproduction of the NOAA chart. There is
deep water on both sides of the South Tower but the swell comes in on that
side. The surfers at Fort Point (under the south side of the bridge) are
there most of the time. The problem at the gate is the 2 banks outside the
channel. the North one is the Fourfathom bank and we crab there on nice
days in about 70-90 feet of water. On bad days we do not go out. As the
swell can be breaking on the bank.

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Depends. But since this is the South Tower of the Golden Gate bridge

and
Baker Beach, the ocean will make it into very small pieces. They

probably
read the chart and saw the South Channel designation and used it. There
is
no South Channel and not for a lot of years. You can get through if

lucky
and a calm day. They should of gone through the middle of the gate,

using
the commercial ship channel. Still can get rough but lots more water
underneath and the waves do not break normally. And lately the seas

have
been big swells. 10'-15'ers.
Bill

. ..

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:38:03 -0400, P.Fritz wrote:

What the hell were they thinking?

Uh, my guess is that they weren't. ;-)

MMC

Millions of dollars of "Homeland Security" money floating and flying around
and getting rescued by surfers= priceless!

"Gary" wrote in message
news

That guy didn't do a very good job on his bottom painting..... ;-)

Great Pictures

okey dokey

what an idiot.

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:33:16 -0400, "It's Only Me"
wrote:

Wow,
That would ruin your weekend.

"Sal's Dad" wrote in message
Good thing this skipper got his shorts rinsed out...

http://www.sfsurvey.com/photos/sail/index.htm

"Sailboat Capsizes under Golden Gate Bridge, Surfers come to the Rescue, I
was at Fort Point today, finishing up an eleven part photo essay on the
surfers of San Francisco, and then I saw this sailboat, I said to the
crowd, "LOOK, this sailboat is going to surf the waves!" Then it capsized,
The surfers came to the rescue, and Saved the two sailors. "

Brian D

Why is there breakers and big waves if the water is 4 to 5 fathoms deep?
Normally, breakers from normal (or even large) swells don't roll over until
the water is closer to 20' deep or so. The way the water was rushing out in
front of the breaker in the sequence of photos, it looked very shallow. Any
clue why this is happening in that spot?

Brian

nk.net...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Depends. But since this is the South Tower of the Golden Gate bridge

and
Baker Beach, the ocean will make it into very small pieces. They

probably
read the chart and saw the South Channel designation and used it.
There
is
no South Channel and not for a lot of years. You can get through if

lucky
and a calm day. They should of gone through the middle of the gate,

using
the commercial ship channel. Still can get rough but lots more water
underneath and the waves do not break normally. And lately the seas

have
been big swells. 10'-15'ers.
Bill

. ..

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:38:03 -0400, P.Fritz wrote:

What the hell were they thinking?

Uh, my guess is that they weren't. ;-)

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:39:32 -0700, "Brian D"
wrote:

Why is there breakers and big waves if the water is 4 to 5 fathoms deep?
Normally, breakers from normal (or even large) swells don't roll over until
the water is closer to 20' deep or so. The way the water was rushing out in
front of the breaker in the sequence of photos, it looked very shallow. Any
clue why this is happening in that spot?

Probably because it is a tide rip as much as it is a breaker. I have
seen very disturbing looking breakers in 60 feet of water near Machias
Seal Island, where the tide rushing in and out of the Bay of Fundy.

After double-checking location, we sailed right through them (in a
J35, not a 22-footer). It was no problem--actually quite entertaining.

It has never, even fleetingly, occured to me to go south of that tower
on the GG bridge, however.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Nuke the gay whales for Jesus" -- anon T-shirt
Calif Bill

They are probably 14-20' swells and there is a big bar outside the
"channel". That area has ate a lot of ships over the years. Under the
middle of the Gate it is deep. 33+ fathoms. But on both sides of the
channel there are big bars. The slowing water from the bay carrying silt
drops it. The North bar is easier to watch from the Marin Headlands and
when big seas are happening, it is great to go out and watch the breakers on
the bar. And the average depth of the bar is 4-5 fathoms.
Bill

"Brian D" wrote in message

Why is there breakers and big waves if the water is 4 to 5 fathoms deep?
Normally, breakers from normal (or even large) swells don't roll over

until
the water is closer to 20' deep or so. The way the water was rushing out

in
front of the breaker in the sequence of photos, it looked very shallow.

Any
clue why this is happening in that spot?

Brian

nk.net...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Depends. But since this is the South Tower of the Golden Gate bridge

and
Baker Beach, the ocean will make it into very small pieces. They

probably
read the chart and saw the South Channel designation and used it.
There
is
no South Channel and not for a lot of years. You can get through if

lucky
and a calm day. They should of gone through the middle of the gate,

using
the commercial ship channel. Still can get rough but lots more water
underneath and the waves do not break normally. And lately the seas

have
been big swells. 10'-15'ers.
Bill

. ..

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:38:03 -0400, P.Fritz wrote:

What the hell were they thinking?

Uh, my guess is that they weren't. ;-)

Old Nick

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:01:14 -0400, okey dokey
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

what an idiot.

They made a mistake.

When the Round the World Yacht race came to Western Australia, one of
the cream of the crop sailed straight into Rottnesst Island, just off
the coast. Pro crew. Pro navigator. Right at the end of the voyage
across the Indian Ocean.

Whenever you have to prove to yourself that you are
not something, you probably are.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
")