Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Skip Gundlach

Default wifi improvement

I'm looking for experience with external antenna solutions to very flaky
wifi access on the boat. There's every sort of hub range improver (get your
signal out to others better) but I don't see much, if anything of the other
way around.

Topsides, the range is only flaky, but at least I can pull and send stuff,
albeit I have to choose my moments. However, the screen is invisible in
anything between dawn and dusk and the keyboard is invisible in the dark,
limiting me severely in timing/scheduling.

So, I'd like to be able to go below, where there's no reception, not to
mention, protection from the elements.

Who's used what (up the mast isn't what I had in mind, though if it made
sense (I can't imagine it would, financially), I'd look at that) in the line
of plug-in remote antennas?

I've lost the link, but I saw something which was an antenna for those
laptops without wifi, on some unknown length of USB lead; one can buy
"active" USB extensions for not too much, which I assume would make it
feasible for me to put the antenna out the hatch while I'm at the nav, for
example...

Thanks for any real-world experience...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

List of WiFi spots on the ICW beaufortnc Cruising 26 February 7th 05 11:43 AM
Internet away from home? Rodney Myrvaagnes Cruising 15 February 2nd 05 01:05 AM
wi fi in harbors larry Cruising 29 January 3rd 05 08:00 PM
EZ WiFI Hot Spot kits for Marina's Arthur Tyde General 0 September 17th 04 10:28 PM
Las Palmas, Canaries - Internet Cafes or Wifi hot spots? Fred Finisterre General 2 September 26th 03 10:26 PM