Nathan Armstrong

Default Transom repairs

I have a fibreglass ski boat that has rot in the transom. I've been told to
cut the back off the boat and replace the rotted timber piece and re
fibreglass it.
This seems a drastic measure. I would appreciate talking to anyone who has
done this or are there any other ideas??
Thanks
Peter

Lew Hodgett

Nathan Armstrong wrote:
I have a fibreglass ski boat that has rot in the transom. I've been told to
cut the back off the boat and replace the rotted timber piece and re
fibreglass it.

Sounds about right.

Lew
Jim

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Nathan Armstrong wrote:

I have a fibreglass ski boat that has rot in the transom. I've been
told to
cut the back off the boat and replace the rotted timber piece and re
fibreglass it.

Sounds about right.

Lew

I'm assuming that you mean to do the repair from the inside of the hull,
not the outside.

Lew Hodgett

Jim wrote:

I'm assuming that you mean to do the repair from the inside of the hull,
not the outside.

Not sure, a lot would depend on the damage and how large it is.

Hopefully the entire transom doesn't have to be replaced, but you never
know until you dig into it.

Water migration in wood core can be a bear.

HTH

Lew

Jim

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Jim wrote:

I'm assuming that you mean to do the repair from the inside of the
hull, not the outside.

Not sure, a lot would depend on the damage and how large it is.

Hopefully the entire transom doesn't have to be replaced, but you never
know until you dig into it.

Water migration in wood core can be a bear.

HTH

Lew

I've never done this exaty type of repair, but a surveyor once showed me
that repairs should be done from the inside, not the outside.

I would imagine that I would tear out everything from the inside, then
replace the wood core and reglass the inside skin.

The origional post said, " I've been told to
cut the back off the boat. . ."

Jim

MMC

Looks like a great way to do the job!
I repaired a rotted transom in a boat that was other wise in very good shape
by removing the rubrail, drilling all the rivets out, removing the liner,
and glassing in new marine ply.
Took a while and had to have a couple strong backs to help with the liner.
It was worth the effort, but if I had had the option of something like
"Seacast System", I'd have jumped on it!
MMC
"Auerbach" wrote in message
Take a look at http://www.transomrepair.com/

"Nathan Armstrong" wrote in message
I have a fibreglass ski boat that has rot in the transom. I've been told
cut the back off the boat and replace the rotted timber piece and re
fibreglass it.
This seems a drastic measure. I would appreciate talking to anyone who
has
done this or are there any other ideas??
Thanks
Peter

Nathan Armstrong

Thanks for your replies to my transom problem.
Wish I'd heard of the Seacast system before my over-enthusiastic son cut
into the transom from the outside. On the bright side, we now have a very
good access to the job and a lot of glassing to do
Nathan

backing plates sel1 General 28 December 14th 04 09:10 AM
Mercruiser coupler replacement / transom issues Rich General 4 August 10th 04 10:07 PM
transom repair K. Smith General 0 August 7th 04 02:01 AM
Transom cutout size for 130 hp Sylvester Sullivan General 0 April 4th 04 06:01 AM
Transom Height - Dumb Question Alert Michael Gagliardi General 0 August 28th 03 07:31 PM