Courtney Thomas

Default to prevent rust on uncoated mild steel [no oil/grease] while winter stored ?

I have some items of mild steel that are to be welded and painted come
Summer and want to store them in a shed and prevent further oxidation
during that period.

Someone suggested Goop but even though it might wash away well, I'm
concerned that it might be to close to oil/grease.

How about Cosmolene [sp] ? Where do you get it and is it expensive ?

Please indicate what has worked for you.

Gratefully,
Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Paul Mathews

I've been happy with VCI Cortec products, including their water-based
primers that are readily weldable, paintable. Just search on those
keywords or start he

http://www.corrosionvci.com/

Paul Mathews

Paul Oman

Courtney Thomas wrote:

I have some items of mild steel that are to be welded and painted come
Summer and want to store them in a shed and prevent further oxidation
during that period.

Someone suggested Goop but even though it might wash away well, I'm
concerned that it might be to close to oil/grease.

How about Cosmolene [sp] ? Where do you get it and is it expensive ?

Please indicate what has worked for you.

Gratefully,
Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

Search the web for VCI - vapor corrosion inhibitors. Comes in dozens of
'types' basically they emit 'vapors' that bond to the surface of steel and
keep it from corroding. Available as coated kaft paper, coated plastic
bags (for circuit boards), and as a easily washed off 'coating' that is
brushed or sprayed on. This is how a lot of oil field equipment etc is
stored outside for sometimes years at a time until sold etc.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers

--

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include
a free trip around the Sun every year."

Brian Nystrom

Courtney Thomas wrote:
I have some items of mild steel that are to be welded and painted come
Summer and want to store them in a shed and prevent further oxidation
during that period.

Someone suggested Goop but even though it might wash away well, I'm
concerned that it might be to close to oil/grease.

How about Cosmolene [sp] ? Where do you get it and is it expensive ?

Please indicate what has worked for you.

CorrosionX products have worked well for me. http://www.corrosionx.com/
Keith

http://www.daubertvci.com/

--