Robert or Karen Swarts

Default Old running rigging

I am about to replace the halyards and sheets on my 25' sailboat. I have
measured the old lines with a caliper, and had my neighbor repeat the
measurements to be sure they were consistent. The result is that the lines
measure between 5/16 and 3/8 for the halyards, and between 3/8 and 7/16 for
the sheets.

Does anyone know if old, weathered lines tend to measure more or less than
their nominal diameter? I.e., are these 5/16, 3/8 or 7/16?

BS

Evan Gatehouse

Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:
I am about to replace the halyards and sheets on my 25' sailboat. I have
measured the old lines with a caliper, and had my neighbor repeat the
measurements to be sure they were consistent. The result is that the lines
measure between 5/16 and 3/8 for the halyards, and between 3/8 and 7/16 for
the sheets.

Does anyone know if old, weathered lines tend to measure more or less than
their nominal diameter? I.e., are these 5/16, 3/8 or 7/16?

BS

Good question! I would have assumed that they would get thinner but
3/8" halyards on a 25' boat seem pretty overly large. I'd pick 5/16"
for halyards and 3/8" or 7/16" for sheets. Breaking strength isn't a
problem, but ease of fitting through sheaves is important.

Evan Gatehouse
Courtney Thomas

What sized sheets and halyards are recommended for a boat of about
10tons/40' long ?

Thanks,
Courtney

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Wayne.B

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:01:55 -0500, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

What sized sheets and halyards are recommended for a boat of about
10tons/40' long ?

Using hi-tech material like Spectra (especially worthwhile for
halyards), 5/16 for halyards, 7/16 or 1/2 inch for sheets and guys.

Otherwise you'll need wire halyards at about 5/32 or 3/16, with sheets
and guys at 5/8 dacron.

Wayne.B

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:45:46 -0800, "Robert or Karen Swarts"
wrote:
I am about to replace the halyards and sheets on my 25' sailboat. I have
measured the old lines with a caliper, and had my neighbor repeat the
measurements to be sure they were consistent. The result is that the lines
measure between 5/16 and 3/8 for the halyards, and between 3/8 and 7/16 for
the sheets.

Does anyone know if old, weathered lines tend to measure more or less than
their nominal diameter? I.e., are these 5/16, 3/8 or 7/16?

The loads on a 25 ft boat are not that high so anything 5/16 or
greater should have enough strength. To minimize weight aloft I'd go
with a smaller, low stretch line for the halyards, preferably Spectra.
For the sheets, get something that feels comfortable in your hands,
probably 3/8.

gregg

wrote:
I am about to replace the halyards and sheets on my 25' sailboat. I have
measured the old lines with a caliper, and had my neighbor repeat the
measurements to be sure they were consistent. The result is that the lines
measure between 5/16 and 3/8 for the halyards, and between 3/8 and 7/16
for the sheets.

Does anyone know if old, weathered lines tend to measure more or less than
their nominal diameter? I.e., are these 5/16, 3/8 or 7/16?

The best indicator would be the blocks - they are sized for a particular
line diameter. Assuming, of course, that the blocks were sized right for
the boat.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

gregg

wrote:
I am about to replace the halyards and sheets on my 25' sailboat. I have
measured the old lines with a caliper, and had my neighbor repeat the
measurements to be sure they were consistent. The result is that the
lines measure between 5/16 and 3/8 for the halyards, and between 3/8 and
7/16 for the sheets.

Does anyone know if old, weathered lines tend to measure more or less
than their nominal diameter? I.e., are these 5/16, 3/8 or 7/16?

The best indicator would be the blocks - they are sized for a particular
line diameter. Assuming, of course, that the blocks were sized right for
the boat.

p.s. and also the block sheaves should be sized for a particular line
diameter, given a certain line material.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Jim Conlin

Another consideration for sheets is how comfortable the line will be on
the hands when you're pulling on it. If the blocks will tolerate it,
i'd prefer 7/16". Make up a pair of 1/4" sheets for light-weather
conditions.
Daniel

Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:
I am about to replace the halyards and sheets on my 25' sailboat. I have
measured the old lines with a caliper, and had my neighbor repeat the
measurements to be sure they were consistent. The result is that the lines
measure between 5/16 and 3/8 for the halyards, and between 3/8 and 7/16 for
the sheets.

Does anyone know if old, weathered lines tend to measure more or less than
their nominal diameter? I.e., are these 5/16, 3/8 or 7/16?

BS

Just a curiosity: did you try with a metric gauge???????? Moreover, can
you make a slightly more precise measu 1/16" indeterminacy is quite
large.

Daniel
Robert or Karen Swarts

Daniel, the problem is that the readings are the same depending on where
along the line they are made. There is probably 1/16 variation. Nor do the
measurements turn out to be an integral number of millimeters.

BS