BoatBanter.com

-   -   Bottom Paint (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/26832-bottom-paint.html)

Tailgunner January 4th 05 02:27 PM

Bottom Paint

I just heard that a local guy mixes jalapeno powder and Roundup(tm) in
his bottom paint to prevent growth. He swears by it.

I thought this was a good one.

Tailgunner

HOWdie January 9th 05 01:09 PM

Black pepper has been added and used along the North Carolina coast as
an additive for years from my experience

DSK January 10th 05 11:33 AM

HOWdie wrote:
Black pepper has been added and used along the North Carolina coast as
an additive for years from my experience

Where? I grew up in New Bern and have been every place in coastal NC.
I've heard a lot about adding black pepper, red pepper, Texas Pete,
juice from distilled datil peppers, etc etc, to paint for anti-fouling,
but nobody has ever shown that it does anything at all except make the
paint flake off.

AFAIK it's an old wives tale.

DSK