peterMelbourneAustralia

Default Symmetrical wingmasts

Hi all,

I have designed a wingmast that is symmetrical about the mast. It thus
has a fine leading edge and a fine trailing edge.

The sail can rotate about the mast, well each batten can. It is
controlled the way a junk sail is, with thin lines to the end of each
batten. In this case the control lines are attached to both ends of
the batten, not just one end.

It is designed for a proa, thus the convex side always faces the same
direction. This means that the control lines always lead to the same
direction, the cockpit to windward.

Has anyone had any experience with such a sail? Has it been done
before? I know the section is not perfect, but feel that it ouhgt to
be OK, any comments on this? Was hoping for a more efficient section
than a junk rig.

Last but not least, I am worried about control issues. Even with many
lines to the forward edge and many lines to the trailing edge (end of
battens) I am worried that it may not be stable; any comments? I
intend to build a prototype in February 2005 to test the idea.

N. Peter Evans