76Glastron

Default Stringer design

I am having to replace the stringers on my 22' Glastron. The question I
have is when I pulled the foam out from between the stringers it was
completly water-logged. When I put the new stringers in would it be a good
idea to have a hole in each compartment for water drainage? Are, should I
just make the new compartments as water tight as possible and not worry
about the new foam becoming water-logged?

Thanks
Tom F

Ron White

Foam filling is one of those two edged swords. You could or probably should
make some little holes where water might puddle up, like where a stringer
meets a bulk head.THese may be needed in some bulkheads as well. You could
make these about an 1/2 inch to 1 inch in dia. or the equivalent. Be sure
these are sealed so the wood or foam inside the stringers or bulkheads
doesn't get wet.Sometimes short pieces of pvc pipe are used for these drain
holes. The idea would be to put them in the right places so that water will
drain to the center of the blulge atthe rear of the boat. There it can be
drained thu the transom plug or pumped out.Also they should'nt be so small
that they will easily clog with debris.

--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

Mac

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 06:30:20 +0000, 76Glastron wrote:

I am having to replace the stringers on my 22' Glastron. The question I
have is when I pulled the foam out from between the stringers it was
completly water-logged. When I put the new stringers in would it be a good
idea to have a hole in each compartment for water drainage? Are, should I
just make the new compartments as water tight as possible and not worry
about the new foam becoming water-logged?

Thanks
Tom F

Do you have any idea how the foam got waterlogged? That is, perhaps, the
question you should be asking. ;-)

It could easily happen if the previous stringer had misplaced drainage
holes.

--Mac

Jacques

Mac wrote in message ...
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 06:30:20 +0000, 76Glastron wrote:

I am having to replace the stringers on my 22' Glastron. The question I
have is when I pulled the foam out from between the stringers it was
completly water-logged. When I put the new stringers in would it be a good
idea to have a hole in each compartment for water drainage? Are, should I
just make the new compartments as water tight as possible and not worry
about the new foam becoming water-logged?

Thanks
Tom F

I would use true marine foam like Divinycell:
http://www.boatbuildercentral.com/products.php?id=10
for the new stringers and laminate them to the hull with epoxy resin
instead of polyester.
Epoxy will keep the moisture out and even if you miss a spot, the
closed cell foam will not absorb water.
Done that way, no need for drain holes.

Jacques
from BoatPlans-OnLIne.com