Paul Oman

Default osmotic blisters

Does anyone have a clue about how long it takes for hull
blisters to form? Has anyone heard of them forming on a
new boat in less than a year? I have always suspected
they take a good long while to form, but have nothing to
back that up.

your thoughts please.

Paul Oman
progressive epoxy polymers

-

Glenn Ashmore

I think it must have something to do with rushing the lay-up or improper
resin mixing. 90% of my work is in epoxy so I am definitely no expert on
polyester but because of my building project a number of boat owners around
here think I am and ask me to look at their problems. In the last month I
have seen 3 boats less than 2 years old that have developed blisters. All
were the same brand bought from the same dealer and kept in the water all
summer. The dealer and the manufacturer have disavowed any responsibility,
the owners are talking to lawyers and it looks like this is going to get
nasty so I am reluctant to say which brand of boat.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
Does anyone have a clue about how long it takes for hull
blisters to form? Has anyone heard of them forming on a
new boat in less than a year? I have always suspected
they take a good long while to form, but have nothing to
back that up.

your thoughts please.

Paul Oman
progressive epoxy polymers

-

Keith

They can form pretty fast in a poorly constructed boat. Here are some sites
that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know probably.

http://www.daviscoltd.com/nams/Docum...er_Report.html
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm
http://www.marinesurvey.com/yacht/BlisterRepairFail.htm
http://www.hotvac.com/
http://www.osmosisinfo.com/

--

Keith
__
"Paul Oman" wrote in message
Does anyone have a clue about how long it takes for hull
blisters to form? Has anyone heard of them forming on a
new boat in less than a year? I have always suspected
they take a good long while to form, but have nothing to
back that up.

your thoughts please.

Paul Oman
progressive epoxy polymers

-

Meindert Sprang

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I don't think that is the problem. All three were covered with a hard
anti-fouling applied by the dealer (he claims) to the manufacturer's

specs.

Since when does anti-fouling *seal* a hull?

Meindert

Bill

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
Does anyone have a clue about how long it takes for hull
blisters to form? Has anyone heard of them forming on a
new boat in less than a year? I have always suspected
they take a good long while to form, but have nothing to
back that up.

your thoughts please.

Paul Oman
progressive epoxy polymers

-

See Pascoe's book on Power boats for an interesting discussion of
blistering. He doesn't even think that epoxy will save you from the problem.

Keith

Sure they are. Just expensive.

--

Keith
__

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
Does anyone have a clue about how long it takes for hull
blisters to form? Has anyone heard of them forming on a
new boat in less than a year? I have always suspected
they take a good long while to form, but have nothing to
back that up.

your thoughts please.

Paul Oman
progressive epoxy polymers

-

MMC

Blistering comes from shoddy construction techniques and/or builders saving
a buck, witch amounts to the same thing.
I had a 1963 35' Chris Craft Sailyacht that I sold in 1999 that had spent
it's life in Florida, Caribbean, Bahamian waters and NEVER had blisters. I
then bought a 1973 35' Chris Craft Caribbean (also a sailboat), that also
never had blisters. Apparently some builders maintained integrity through
the oil shortages of the 70's.
OTOH the boat I have now (1973 GS 41') had 7 roughly hand sizes blisters
that were fixed in the distant past (I found them when I stripped the hull
to barrier coat), I drilled a couple and found they had been repaired quite
well and were very solid. And since the underwater portion of the hull is
over 1 3/4 thick, I wouldn't get real excited if I were to find a couple new
ones on next haul out. If I had a cored hull and found blisters, I'm sure
I'd have a different attitude.
What really amazes me is that with knowledge of blistering problems, boats
are still being built AND bought with these built-in headaches.
MMC
"Bill" wrote in message

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
Does anyone have a clue about how long it takes for hull
blisters to form? Has anyone heard of them forming on a
new boat in less than a year? I have always suspected
they take a good long while to form, but have nothing to
back that up.

your thoughts please.

Paul Oman
progressive epoxy polymers

-

See Pascoe's book on Power boats for an interesting discussion of
blistering. He doesn't even think that epoxy will save you from the
problem.

Dave Wright

Paul,

Have you seen the book "Osmosis and the Care and Repair of Glassfibre
Yachts" by Tony Staton-Bevan, 1989? It's very good, very complete.
Chapter 2 discusses various causes and examples, e.g. page 22: "Boats
kept in fresh water or warm water are likely to blister much sooner
and it is not unusual to find blistering after 12 months afloat under
either of these conditions."
Good book, good repair techniques, good pictures.

Dave Wright

Blister informatin. Simple Simon ASA 13 October 31st 03 09:44 PM
Beneteau warranty for osmotic blisters? Simple Simon ASA 1 October 30th 03 09:57 PM
Hull Blisters Parallax Cruising 18 October 22nd 03 05:40 AM
Bayliner Bottom Blisters Anthony General 7 October 16th 03 04:28 AM