IDT 512

Default how long can i run the engine safely without cooling water

how long can i run the engine safely without cooling water? engine is a Merc 3.0L.
Mac

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:23:05 -0800, IDT 512 wrote:

how long can i run the engine safely without cooling water? engine is a
Merc 3.0L.

There was a thread here recently about someone loosing an impeller vane or
something like that after running a motor very briefly out of the water.

But I know that the fishermen in certain places in Mexico beach their
boats at full speed, and lift the motor up out of the water while it is
still running as the bow hits the sand. Doesn't seem to hurt their
impellers.

This was probably not a really helpful post, but it's about all I know.
;-)

--Mac

bowgus

Assuming the outdrive is not connected (impeller would fail within a few
seconds) and assuming adequate lubrication and assuming raw-water cooling
and assuming the boat had been in the water and therefore the block was full
of water and assuming the belt to the water pump was disconnected ... the
water would soon boil off ... after that ... or assuming no cooling water
.... exhaust is water cooled so manifold/risers could warp, water hoses could
melt, head could warp, depending on the engine lubricant (some of that
synthetic stuff is pretty good) pistons may or may not seize ... .

Wild guess ... 3 minutes tops ... please post your findings :-)

"IDT 512" wrote in message
om...
how long can i run the engine safely without cooling water? engine is a

Merc 3.0L.

IDT 512

Old Nick wrote in message . ..

Let's know when you find out!

Actually i was wanting you to conduct the experiment for me

Edward Quillian

engine will overheat within about 5 minutes. Bigger problem is you will
destroy the rubber impeller on the water pump.
"IDT 512" wrote in message
om...
how long can i run the engine safely without cooling water? engine is a

Merc 3.0L.

IDT 512

"Edward Quillian" wrote in message ...
engine will overheat within about 5 minutes. Bigger problem is you will
destroy the rubber impeller on the water pump.
"IDT 512" wrote in message
om...
how long can i run the engine safely without cooling water? engine is a

Merc 3.0L.

5 minutes??? i was thinking closer to like 15-20 seconds! I want to
start it up in the garage every once in a while and was wondering if i
can run without the flush kit to avoid getting the garage floor all
wet, otherwise id have to pull it out to the street each and every
time.
David Flew

"IDT 512" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Quillian" wrote in message

engine will overheat within about 5 minutes. Bigger problem is you will
destroy the rubber impeller on the water pump.
"IDT 512" wrote in message
om...
how long can i run the engine safely without cooling water? engine is

Merc 3.0L.

5 minutes??? i was thinking closer to like 15-20 seconds! I want to
start it up in the garage every once in a while and was wondering if i
can run without the flush kit to avoid getting the garage floor all
wet, otherwise id have to pull it out to the street each and every
time.

Plus
- no need to drag the trailer out of the garage
Minus
- possible engine overheating
- possible water pump impellor damage
- engine fumes in the garage

And then I'd wonder about the plus and minus of starting it "now and then"
and not really being able to run it long / hard enough for it to warm up.

I'd be talking to your dealer, but if it's properly shut down, the battery
is kept charged, and the fuel you use to start it is fresh, I'd suspect that
it would be more reliable and last longer if it was left alone between
seasons. This from a person who lives where we can boat all year, and has a
diesel inboard.

Now that's sure to attract some criticism....
David

Ole Skovrup

Oh what a predicament...
For smaller(liftable) engines, get a barrrel with fresh water and run the
engine in that (a blue nylon barrel is perfect for that)
For a BIG engine - or one attached to the boat with many rods, cables etc.,
buy a flushing kit and get a basin that'll fit under the engine. It catches
the runoff and you get your engine flushed out of salt.
Just open the gate, so you do not choke to death on the fumes.

Dry run kills the impeller - which should be checked before each sailing
season anyway!

NATO4EVER
Ole

"IDT 512" skrev i en meddelelse
om...
"Edward Quillian" wrote in message

engine will overheat within about 5 minutes. Bigger problem is you will
destroy the rubber impeller on the water pump.
"IDT 512" wrote in message
om...
how long can i run the engine safely without cooling water? engine is

Merc 3.0L.

5 minutes??? i was thinking closer to like 15-20 seconds! I want to
start it up in the garage every once in a while and was wondering if i
can run without the flush kit to avoid getting the garage floor all
wet, otherwise id have to pull it out to the street each and every
time.

Drinking RO water - health problems? [email protected] Cruising 12 August 16th 05 02:42 AM
Raw Water Pump Priming Tony Abbott General 6 September 20th 04 10:14 PM
Yanmar 2GM Overheating Jeffrey P. Vasquez Cruising 7 May 21st 04 06:00 PM
Fresh Water Tank Lou Cragin Cruising 6 December 8th 03 08:23 AM
fresh cooling water Aron Tvedt UK Power Boats 3 November 4th 03 01:10 PM