Default 1950 Chris Craft

I am re-painting and re-finishing a vintage mahogany ChrisCraft Double Cabin
Flybridge Cruiser. I have been looking for above the waterline paints and
the strongest Varnish for the mahogany britework. The boat is kept in the
water year round in New York, so it would have to be resistant to pretty
harsh winter climate. Any Help would be appreciated!

Boatboy

P.C. Ford

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:06:33 -0500, wrote:

I am re-painting and re-finishing a vintage mahogany ChrisCraft Double Cabin
Flybridge Cruiser. I have been looking for above the waterline paints and
the strongest Varnish for the mahogany britework. The boat is kept in the
water year round in New York, so it would have to be resistant to pretty
harsh winter climate. Any Help would be appreciated!

Boatboy

Hi,

I do classic boat restoration, lots of Chris-Crafts. Around here for
paint people use Petit Easypoxy or International Brightsides. Varnish
....Epifanes. These are high quality products. The cost of good
materials is far cheaper than labor.

Follow instructions on the can. Use a foam brush to begin with. Not
because they are good brushes. (They aren't) They are good for a
beginner because they do not put much on. Beginners tend to put too
much on.

Remember the sun is the most potent degrader of painted and varnished
surfaces. Keep the boat out of the sun as much as possible.

Keith

Check out http://www.fabulainc.com/. I use their Honey Teak on my brightwork
and love it. Powerboat Reports has been testing it for years and found it
lasts longer than anything else out there. I haven't used their paint, but
if it works as well as the HT, it should be fantastic.

--

Keith
__