Morgan Ohlson

Default Decide on a sail maker sail.

Decide on a sail maker sail.

If I choose a couple of standard (common dinghies) sails. Can the sail maker
(dealer) tell
1. how large mast bending it's designed for (his standard CAD pattern for
that dinghy)?
2. if it's a weak or strong wind sail?

3. Is it usually possible to choose the sails reef technique and /or
fastening method?

4. Can a tube GRP mast match an aluminum one in matter of stiffness? ...or
will it get way to big radius to match?

Morgan O.
William R. Watt

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
Decide on a sail maker sail.

If I choose a couple of standard (common dinghies) sails. Can the sail maker
(dealer) tell
1. how large mast bending it's designed for (his standard CAD pattern for
that dinghy)?

for a dingy you usually suspend a 50 lb weight from the middle of he luff
position on the mast and measure the deflection for the sail maker. if you
use a mast off a one-design boat (eg a Proctor mast off a Wayfarer) the
sail maker probably has a pattern to go with the mast but it will be the
sail area used on the one-design boat.

2. if it's a weak or strong wind sail?

you can discuss the weight of sail cloth used.

3. Is it usually possible to choose the sails reef technique and /or
fastening method?

4. Can a tube GRP mast match an aluminum one in matter of stiffness? ...or
will it get way to big radius to match?

Morgan O.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Morgan Ohlson

On 11 Oct 2004 15:49:58 GMT, William R. Watt wrote:

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
Decide on a sail maker sail.

If I choose a couple of standard (common dinghies) sails. Can the sail maker
(dealer) tell
1. how large mast bending it's designed for (his standard CAD pattern for
that dinghy)?

for a dingy you usually suspend a 50 lb weight from the middle of he luff
position on the mast and measure the deflection for the sail maker.

That must go for a stayed mast. How about an unstayed?

if you
use a mast off a one-design boat (eg a Proctor mast off a Wayfarer) the
sail maker probably has a pattern to go with the mast but it will be the
sail area used on the one-design boat.

Yes, and that is my question.... does the maker know what kind of sail
pattern he has. If I like to make a mast I need data... just knowing wich
mast it may suit isn't much information to me... what I can see from here.

2. if it's a weak or strong wind sail?

you can discuss the weight of sail cloth used.

....and the profile?

Morgan O.
Stephen Baker

Morgan says:

Yes, and that is my question.... does the maker know what kind of sail
pattern he has.

If he doesn't, he isn't much of a sail-maker.

If I like to make a mast I need data... just knowing wich
mast it may suit isn't much information to me... what I can see from here.

Before you design the mast, talk to a sailmaker. Custom sails are more
expensive than sails for an established class, which will already have patterns
available. It may be much cheaper to buy a pre-made rig for a known boat.

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:39:52 GMT, Morgan Ohlson
wrote:

Decide on a sail maker sail.

If I choose a couple of standard (common dinghies) sails. Can the sail maker
(dealer) tell
1. how large mast bending it's designed for (his standard CAD pattern for
that dinghy)?

Yes he can

2. if it's a weak or strong wind sail?

Yes, although for most dinghies one uses the same mainsail all the
time.

3. Is it usually possible to choose the sails reef technique and /or
fastening method?

May be determined by the normal construction in the class. In racing
dinghies, reefing became obsolete ca 1950.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Does one child rape really change Strom Thurmond's lifetime record?
For better or worse?

William R. Watt

I would not be overly concerned about the sail. I sail my small boats on
narrow waters all the time, up river, down river, past high rise apartment
buildings, high banks, and low banks. The sails are all home made and
oddly shaped. Only the last one has any fullness built in by cutting
curved edges. And I sail the boats without rudders, using a paddle to help
tack. I have even sailed a shallow twisting narrow channel through a marsh
with the dagger board up. You can see old pictures in books of sails on
fishing boats and coastal cargo boats of odd shapes full of patches.
Unless you are racing it desn't matter all that much.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Morgan Ohlson

On 11 Oct 2004 21:09:45 GMT, Stephen Baker wrote:

Morgan says:

Yes, and that is my question.... does the maker know what kind of sail
pattern he has.

If he doesn't, he isn't much of a sail-maker.

If I like to make a mast I need data... just knowing wich
mast it may suit isn't much information to me... what I can see from here.

Before you design the mast, talk to a sailmaker. Custom sails are more
expensive than sails for an established class, which will already have patterns
available. It may be much cheaper to buy a pre-made rig for a known boat.

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm

Finding a matching

sail area (main and jib)
AND ratio (hight & foot)
AND mast length from base to boom
AND proper stayes (non-stayed)
AND (the most difficult) a self tacking, bomed jib

Is probably to many factors to find a standard rig.

So I must design something myself. I think I manage the mast best!

My present plan include designing just the rig and sail-plan. From that find
the best ´look-alikeˇ sails from some large scale produced boat and make the
needed adjustment.

....and a proper design of the mast according to length and appropriate
bending at a (set) wind strength.

Morgan
Morgan Ohlson

wrote:

Decide on a sail maker sail.

If I choose a couple of standard (common dinghies) sails. Can the sail maker
(dealer) tell
1. how large mast bending it's designed for (his standard CAD pattern for
that dinghy)?

Yes he can

Good!

2. if it's a weak or strong wind sail?

Yes, although for most dinghies one uses the same mainsail all the
time.

Reasonable, but is good to know about at purchase...

3. Is it usually possible to choose the sails reef technique and /or
fastening method?

May be determined by the normal construction in the class. In racing
dinghies, reefing became obsolete ca 1950.

Naturally non-racing dinghies is a little more in focus for my usage.

Wayfarer
GP14
JY15
snipe
windmill
x boat
Tanzer16

The problem, at the moment is more about wich sails may be put together
combined with a reasonable home made mast (tube-GRP). Loos or fix foot?

I think... hmmm... that a stiff mast is easier to produce to the proper
carachteristics.
A home made bendy mast may bend in strange ways. Especially after fitting a
"sail runner rail" (I hate my english)

If the mast can be made from some kind of standard tube it would probably
make things easier.

What is a normal mast radius for a 10m2 sail dinghy?

Morgan O.
Morgan Ohlson

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:39:52 GMT, Morgan Ohlson wrote:

Decide on a sail maker sail.

If I choose a couple of standard (common dinghies) sails. Can the sail maker
(dealer) tell
1. how large mast bending it's designed for (his standard CAD pattern for
that dinghy)?
2. if it's a weak or strong wind sail?

3. Is it usually possible to choose the sails reef technique and /or
fastening method?

4. Can a tube GRP mast match an aluminum one in matter of stiffness? ...or
will it get way to big radius to match?

Morgan O.

Decisions right now.

1. decide /fix sail area. (Bermuda sloop, main + jib)
Present alternative 10m2 (115sqft) gives SA/D-ratio

1pers minimum load = 23
main design weight = 18
max design weight = 14

2. Main loose or fix foot

3. Finding a combination of standard sails to use.

Morgan O.
Morgan Ohlson

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:31:50 GMT, Morgan Ohlson wrote:

[...]

Including choosing stiff or bendy mast and design material.

Morgan O.

rotating sprit sail William R. Watt Cruising 0 September 2nd 04 09:16 PM
Q: sail design and keel Morgan Ohlson Boat Building 5 August 25th 04 08:38 PM
SAILING GROUNDS Capt. Mooron ASA 135 July 4th 04 05:52 PM
tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM