En Slaught

Default Aluminum Group Buy - Central/Southern US

Like many builders, I need to buy materials a bit at a time because
that is how I get money. However, that is absolutely the wrongest way
to buy aluminum.

Seeking others in Central/South who are interested in splitting the
costs of large lots of alloy. It seems you need to buy a coil at a
time or the economy just isn't there. Plans are to have the coil
busted into 8' x 20' sheets at the mill (leaning toward Commonwealth
in Louisville but haven't done that much research), then trucked to
the customers. I figure it can't be any more exotic to ship this stuff
than it is to ship lumber.

My boat (Crowther 50' cat) calls for 4mm 5083 plate, but I'm sure 5086
is fine, and I could probably go a bit thicker if I don't install the
dishwasher and the dive compressor. =^) Let's talk, tell me what you
need and we'll try to find a way to work together.

Also need lots of 6061 extrusions which are also insanely expensive
unless bought in large lots.

This email address works. Please pass this message on if you know
other forums where folks might be interested.

Thanks,

--Ken
Evan Gatehouse

"En Slaught" wrote in message
om...

My boat (Crowther 50' cat) calls for 4mm 5083 plate, but I'm sure 5086
is fine, and I could probably go a bit thicker if I don't install the
dishwasher and the dive compressor. =^) Let's talk, tell me what you
need and we'll try to find a way to work together.

Please, please, talk to the designers before you start changing materials or
thickness. I don't have my reference books here at home but the two alloys
do have different properties.

One site I quickly checked gave following properties:
3-6mm plate:

5083-H116 UTS = 305 MPa, Y.S.= 210 MPa, 10% elongation
(the stuff I would normally specify)

5083-H112 UTS = 275 MPa, Y.S. = 125 MPa, 10% elongation
5086-H112 UTS = 250 MPa, Y.S. = 125 MPa, 8% elongation

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Notorious Leftwing Rag Publishes Article about Kerry jps General 2 August 7th 04 07:17 AM
This Group extreme_turbulance Power Boat Racing 7 January 26th 04 05:02 PM
Carolina Skiff owners group RG General 0 December 17th 03 12:47 PM
New DownEast and Express Cruisers group... BostonScubaDiver Cruising 0 November 23rd 03 05:30 PM
What a Great Day! Capt.American ASA 16 July 24th 03 11:54 PM