Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ryan

Default making windshield for 16' Gregor aluminum boat

Looking for opinions/suggestions/etc.

I have a 16' Gregor Alaskan series here in the Puget Sound that I'd
like to make a little more comfortable for the passengers and captain
(me). Since it's an 'open' boat, the wind, which is getting colder now
days, blasts right thru the boat.

I'm thinking of getting a piece of aluminum diamond plate (or just
plate), 12 gauge, 3'x5' (thereabouts), bent 30-45 degrees, and
mounting it just in back of the front seat, or attaching it to the
back of the front seat.. I want something that will act as a
windshield to force the wind/spray somewhat over the passengers.

The mounting should be fairly easy, I just need to cut off what I need
to mount it to the sides, and maybe the floor.

The two problems I see with this are visibility and walk-through to
the front of the boat for anchor, etc.. If I want the visibility I
guess I could cut out some areas for the windows and install
plexiglass windows or something to that effect, and while I'm at it I
could cut a 'door', mount hinges, and have access to the front that
way, may look lame though. But I'm for functionality/low cost rather
than looks.

I don't have a plasma cutter nor a welder that can weld aluminum, so
I'm trying to think of ways to accomplish this within my budget.