Lloyd Sumpter

Default Attaching wire-harness to alum boat

Hi,

I'm putting running lights in my 12ft aluminum skiff. I'm running the
wires through a harness and want to run it down the inside chine (don't
want it down the keel, and the gunwale is outside so can't really do it
there). How do I attach the plastic harness to the aluminum? I obviously
don't want to drill holes...

Lloyd
RichG

I'd use 3M5200 if you do not EVER want to remove it, and 3M4200 if you might
want to remove it in the future. RichG
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I'm putting running lights in my 12ft aluminum skiff. I'm running the
wires through a harness and want to run it down the inside chine (don't
want it down the keel, and the gunwale is outside so can't really do it
there). How do I attach the plastic harness to the aluminum? I obviously
don't want to drill holes...

Lloyd

Matt Colie

Lloyd,

Didn't you every see sticky squares and wire ties?

If no, go to a local electrical supplier and tell the gut at the counter
you want some cable/wire ties and the things to stick them up. He will
know what you want and may have more than one size to choose from.

Matt Colie www.yachtek.com

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,

I'm putting running lights in my 12ft aluminum skiff. I'm running the
wires through a harness and want to run it down the inside chine (don't
want it down the keel, and the gunwale is outside so can't really do it
there). How do I attach the plastic harness to the aluminum? I obviously
don't want to drill holes...

Lloyd

Meindert Sprang

"Matt Colie" wrote in message
Lloyd,

Didn't you every see sticky squares and wire ties?

Did you even see them fall off in a dry environment?
I doubt if they would hold.

Meindert

Matt Colie

Meinert,

No, I never have. The only time I have seen the type I use come off has
been when the surface was unsound or not clean.

And, I don't think I have ever done anything in a dry environment.

Matt Colie

Meindert Sprang wrote:
"Matt Colie" wrote in message

Lloyd,

Didn't you every see sticky squares and wire ties?

Did you even see them fall off in a dry environment?
I doubt if they would hold.

Meindert

Rusty O

The cable tie pads with the foam tape will stick a whole lot better if you
clean the attachment surface with acetone just before applying. They also
make cable tie pads designed to mount with epoxy. (The epoxy comes with the
pads)

Rusty O

Lloyd Sumpter

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:02:58 -0400, Matt Colie wrote:

Lloyd,

Didn't you every see sticky squares and wire ties?

First, thanks everyone for all the ideas!

I've seen and used these pads, and must say I AM impressed at how well
they stick. BUT, this is a 25-yr-old aluminum hull, painted, wet, dirty, I
just don't think they'd hold. And yes, I HAVE seen them fall off, esp. in
a boat.

OTOH, I'm not keen on an ugly glob of 5200 holding it either. But the
pad-with-epoxy might work...

Lloyd

Mac

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:08:30 -0700, Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:02:58 -0400, Matt Colie wrote:

Lloyd,

Didn't you every see sticky squares and wire ties?

First, thanks everyone for all the ideas!

I've seen and used these pads, and must say I AM impressed at how well
they stick. BUT, this is a 25-yr-old aluminum hull, painted, wet, dirty, I
just don't think they'd hold. And yes, I HAVE seen them fall off, esp. in
a boat.

OTOH, I'm not keen on an ugly glob of 5200 holding it either. But the
pad-with-epoxy might work...

Lloyd

Just make sure you clean the surface where the epoxy goes. Use
acetone or alcohol or something, then maybe sand it a bit. Dirt or a thin
film of grease can defeat any adhesive. ;-)

--Mac