Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tim

Default Deck fittings

Hello,
I bought a space sailer 22 last week (for those that don't know this
is a 22 foot masthead fibreglass keelboat). I am looking to set the
boat up for racing but the previous few owners of the boat did not
race her so some of the fittings have disappered.

The main thing that was missing in terms of racing were the spinnaker
blocks on the gunwale near the stern (the blocks the spinnaker sheets
turn through before leaving to the pole and spinnaker). There were
however stainless steel saddles on each gunwale. These appear to be
through bolted with washers on the underside but no backing plate.

What I would like to know is if these saddles would be up to the job
of supporting the spinnaker sheet loads (I don't know for sure if that
is what they intended for originally)??

Assuming they were installed correctly would they be ok without a
backing plate??

Being new to owning a boat (I have sailed for years but never done
much maintenance) I want to make sure I am doing the right thing
before using them with the spinnnaker.

Thanks,
Tim