Lol

Default Replacing planks on a 24' Cornish Cutter

My apologies if this question has been asked a thousand times before,
but here I go:

I am renovating a sorely neglected 24' clinker boat, in the process of
which I have discovered that a couple of the planks, up high near the
gunnels, need to be replaced. The longest section is about 4 foot. I
shouldn't have a problem getting hold of a suitable piece of timber
and cutting / planing it to size, but I need to know how to bend the
plank so that it fits correctly, and what sort of rivits (not the
correct nautical term I know) I need to fit the planks. The existing
planks are mahogany attached to an oak frame by square copper rivits.

Can anyone give me any guidance?

Lol
Jonathan

Lol wrote:
My apologies if this question has been asked a thousand times before,
but here I go:

I am renovating a sorely neglected 24' clinker boat, in the process of
which I have discovered that a couple of the planks, up high near the
gunnels, need to be replaced. The longest section is about 4 foot. I
shouldn't have a problem getting hold of a suitable piece of timber
and cutting / planing it to size, but I need to know how to bend the
plank so that it fits correctly, and what sort of rivits (not the
correct nautical term I know) I need to fit the planks. The existing
planks are mahogany attached to an oak frame by square copper rivits.

Can anyone give me any guidance?

Lol

I haven't done this, but thought I was about to need to, on a boat I
owned a while ago.

You need to steam the piece to make it somewhat pliable, and clamp it in
place when it is hot, fresh out of the steam box. To do this, you need
to take a couple of planks off in addition to the ones you need to
replace, in order to get your clamps in place.

While I am sure others with first hand experience will pipe up shortly,
if you are staring at your screen waiting for responses, you might also
noodle around at, and try searching the WoodenBoat Forums, at:
http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php if that doesn't
work, start at www.woodenboat.com and work your way to the forums.

Good luck,

Jonathan

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10, for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr