posted to rec.boats.building

Default Best plywood - Russian, Baltic, Finland, Marine 1088, Aircraft/airplaneplywood?

On 3/19/2012 12:55 AM, CCDarwin wrote:
I am looking for the best multiply plywood sheet, 1 inch thick, to
make large flat one-hand handles and other small parts from for use on
boats, in fitness and sports equipment, etc.. They will be used
outdoors but stored in homes, boats or storage areas when not in use.
They need to be very strong, never break or splinter and not
deteriorate by rain, sea/fresh water, moisture.

I don't know the difference between the plywoods listed in the above
subject line but will appreciate your recommendation.
Thanks,
Charles

Can't answer your question but I can tell you that when I was making
handles and such for boats, out of Mahogany/Occoume BS1088, it was
strong but very flexible. I used layers of fiberglass cloth in between
layers of 6mm to make 3/4 and 1 inch handles. I can't quite remember why
I didn't use the 18mm and bigger for handles (it's been a while) but I
can only assume without the glass cloth, it wasn't stiff enough...

Scotty from SmallBoats.com

On 3/25/2012 8:33 PM, JustWait wrote:
[...]

I should note that laminating in the glass cloth was to stiffen the
handles, sorry.

On Mar 25, 5:37*pm, JustWait wrote:
[...]

O yes that makes sense. I found out the 'hard' way: hardwood parts
are kind of brittle.
If you drop them on concrete or they get a weird shock load they may
just snap.
No wonder you used the glass cloth. I am planning to use a thin metal
sheet in-
between instead, as I am not so eager to work with resins and glass
cloth.
However from a corrosion and durability viewpoint using the glass
cloth may be the better choice.