posted to rec.sport.jetski,alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

Default Looking for CDI(?) igniter for Jet Ski '96 JH1100

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:43:40 -0700, d@vid. wrote:

Hi,

The guy working on my Jet Ski said he thinks it needs an igniter, or igniter
box, or he said it's sometimes called an electronic control unit...I believe he
said it has four wires coming out of it and it's part of the ignition system.
Does anyone know what he's referring to that can tell me the correct term(s) to
search for? Is it a CDI module? Can anyone suggest where to look for the lowest
price for one? So far I haven't been able to find one at all.

Thank you for any help!
David

You need a new mechanic. Any experienced person who works on those
engines will know where to get one. Local dealer perhaps?

Wayne B wrote:
On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:43:40 -0700, d@vid. wrote:

Hi,

The guy working on my Jet Ski said he thinks it needs an igniter, or igniter
box, or he said it's sometimes called an electronic control unit...I believe he
said it has four wires coming out of it and it's part of the ignition system.
Does anyone know what he's referring to that can tell me the correct term(s) to
search for? Is it a CDI module? Can anyone suggest where to look for the lowest
price for one? So far I haven't been able to find one at all.

Thank you for any help!
David

You need a new mechanic. Any experienced person who works on those
engines will know where to get one. Local dealer perhaps?

Take the old one to the dealer. They might have a bit of test gear that
can check it out. If it is bad, they will have the new one in stock or
order one for you.

I'd hate to put my boat's ability to run in the hands of the "lowest
price" ignition part, if it isn't OEM.

d@vid. wrote in message ...
Hi,

The guy working on my Jet Ski said he thinks it needs an igniter, or
igniter
box, or he said it's sometimes called an electronic control unit...I
believe he
said it has four wires coming out of it and it's part of the ignition
system.
Does anyone know what he's referring to that can tell me the correct
term(s) to
search for? Is it a CDI module? Can anyone suggest where to look for the
lowest
price for one? So far I haven't been able to find one at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwY36B0pZvk

That's what I'd like to see happen with all PWC.

--
Gregory Hall

posted to rec.sport.jetski,alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising

On Apr 5, 5:40*pm, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:
d@vid. wrote in messagenews:7n6np6dlsquks80q6t7imkl1c3md0vk37k@4ax .com....
Hi,

The guy working on my Jet Ski said he thinks it needs an igniter, or
igniter
box, or he said it's sometimes called an electronic control unit...I
believe he
said it has four wires coming out of it and it's part of the ignition
system.
Does anyone know what he's referring to that can tell me the correct
term(s) to
search for? Is it a CDI module? Can anyone suggest where to look for the
lowest
price for one? So far I haven't been able to find one at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwY36B0pZvk

That's what I'd like to see happen with all PWC.

--
Gregory Hall

I'd like to see mandatory IQ Tests beFORE any one gets an Operators
Card.

Harryk wrote:
Wayne B wrote:
[...]

You don't own a boat.
posted to rec.sport.jetski,alt.sport.jet-ski,rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 5, 4:40*pm, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:
d@vid. wrote in messagenews:7n6np6dlsquks80q6t7imkl1c3md0vk37k@4ax .com....
Hi,

The guy working on my Jet Ski said he thinks it needs an igniter, or
igniter
box, or he said it's sometimes called an electronic control unit...I
believe he
said it has four wires coming out of it and it's part of the ignition
system.
Does anyone know what he's referring to that can tell me the correct
term(s) to
search for? Is it a CDI module? Can anyone suggest where to look for the
lowest
price for one? So far I haven't been able to find one at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwY36B0pZvk

That's what I'd like to see happen with all PWC.

--
Gregory Hall

'cheap? As in price, there's nothing really 'cheap' about pwc
parts. Or boat parts for that matter.

wrote:
[...]

Who said anything about "cheap" other than yourself?

I take it you did when you said: "Can anyone suggest where to look for
the lowest
price for one? So far I haven't been able to find one at all. "

Actually you said 'less expensive' so to me that means 'cheap' Sure
money is an issue and I like to get the best bang for the buck too.
but if there are different grades or outlets of parts, and you are
looking for the least expensive part, then I'd say you simply want the
'cheap' part. And that's not bad. I run Mercuruisers on my boats
because the engings are basic GM automotive engines and I can get
about any part I want through NAPA instead of paying way higher [in
many cases] through a mercury dealer. So yeah, I'm 'cheap' too. but I
know there's some things I can't get by with so to the dealer we go.

On Apr 10, 10:57*pm, d@vid. wrote:
On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 20:27:48 -0400, L G wrote:
Harryk wrote:
Wayne B wrote:
[...]

If I finally give up and decide to pay the highest price for one THEN I'll go to
a dealer, but money is a bit more of an issue for me than that so I'm trying to
save a significant percentage by trying to find one someplace else. It's too bad
for me that none of you people could help, but I had to try in order to find
that out.

David, not many PWC'rs here, but glad you stoped by anyhow.

Harryk wrote:
Wayne B wrote:
[...]

Every Jet Ski should have one ! Steve Cruising 11 April 11th 11 10:28 PM
Looking for CDI(?) igniter for Jet Ski '96 JH1100 d@vid. General 11 April 11th 11 02:07 AM
Jet Ski Cruising [email protected] Cruising 5 November 21st 05 11:40 PM
jet-ski or jet-bike wee jimmy General 6 November 4th 04 12:52 AM
More Jet ski Carnage! F330 GT General 0 July 13th 03 02:55 PM