posted to rec.boats.building,rec.woodworking,uk.rec.models.engineering

Default Anyone want a pedal-powered canoe (in the UK)?

Hi folks,

When I was a teenager I built a pedal-powered canoe. It's made out of
plywood without any curves, sealed by mastic in screwed-down joints, and
has parts of a child's bike as the propulsion system. So its appearance
is very Heath Robinson.

I never quite finished the project because I stopped spending time with
a friend who had a lake. But I got to the stage where it was tested as
keeping the water out. Then it was varnished and forgotten about. As I
recall, the things that need finishing are securing the paddles to the
shaft, adding a belt to transmit the power (pretty much anything would
do here) and making a rudder to suit the bracket. So it's an
almost-finished project that's about 15 years old, and has been stored
under cover.

It seems a shame to junk it, so it's free to a good home. We're on the
Shropshire-Staffordshire border. Anyone got a teenage son who might
enjoy it? This is a Dangerous Book for Boys type of project, although it
pre-dates the book by about a decade.

E-mail me (cdt22 AT cantab DOT net) if you want it or need more information.

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

PS: It's probably big enough for an adult too :-).

On 27 Sep, 22:51, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi folks,

When I was a teenager I built a pedal-powered canoe. It's made out of
plywood without any curves, sealed by mastic in screwed-down joints, and
has parts of a child's bike as the propulsion system. So its appearance
is very Heath Robinson.

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

PS: It's probably big enough for an adult too :-).

Give it a Viking funeral.

John S.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.woodworking,uk.rec.models.engineering

--Put wheels on it and you can use it for transportation at Burning
Man!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Don't get mad,
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : get even...
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.woodworking,uk.rec.models.engineering

I'd love to take it on but the truth is it'd join all those other
unfinished projects and I'd suffer more distress from SWMBO.
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.woodworking,uk.rec.models.engineering

The canoe has now been rehomed.

Chris

Dinghy pedal power Charles Momsen ASA 2 October 18th 08 12:27 AM
I got a Hobie Pedal-Paddle-Sail Kayak Al K General 3 June 17th 07 12:51 PM
Want to buy: 2 hobie pedal kayaks arthur Touring 0 November 16th 04 06:57 PM
WANTED: 2 Hobie pedal kayaks arthur General 0 November 16th 04 06:51 PM
Pedal Kayak with built in wheels? RockyRoad General 9 October 3rd 03 07:02 AM