posted to rec.boats.building

Default Okoume or...?

Am looking for plywood less than 4 mm. Apparently, Okoume has no rot
resistance so I'd like something else. However, I cannot even find
Okoume less than 5/32" thick.
Any ideas?
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 09:07:59 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

Am looking for plywood less than 4 mm. Apparently, Okoume has no rot
resistance so I'd like something else. However, I cannot even find
Okoume less than 5/32" thick.
Any ideas?

You can try Aircraftspruce. they have plywood down to 0.8 mm I
beleive.

A point that most people overlook is the weight of the plywood. Over
herer we have plywood made in Burma, Indonesia and Thailand - all made
from tropical hardwoods and in some cases nearly twice as heavy as
okoume. A boat built from okoume turns out to be substantially lighter
then one built from local supplied plywood.

Out of curosity, what are you going to use ply thinner then 4mm for?

Bruce

Bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

Am looking for plywood less than 4 mm. Apparently, Okoume has no rot
resistance so I'd like something else. However, I cannot even find
Okoume less than 5/32" thick.
Any ideas?

You might want to take a look at a book called "Ultralight
Boatbuilding " by Thomas Hill.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Boa.../dp/0071567038

He has built a lot of small boats from Okoume and claims that it is
highly rot resistant. I've built a few things from it also and had no
problems. It is very strong for its weight and laminates well with
epoxy.

posted to rec.boats.building

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Am looking for plywood less than 4 mm. Apparently, Okoume has no rot
resistance so I'd like something else. However, I cannot even find
Okoume less than 5/32" thick.
Any ideas?

You might want to take a look at a book called "Ultralight
Boatbuilding " by Thomas Hill.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Boa.../dp/0071567038

He has built a lot of small boats from Okoume and claims that it is
highly rot resistant. I've built a few things from it also and had no
problems. It is very strong for its weight and laminates well with
epoxy.

It may have been another thread where I mentioned this but I have found most
Occoume to be BS1088 and the occoume wood itself seems very rot resistant.
Another nice thing about it besides being light is it tends to bend very fair,
makes a nice even arc if you need it to.

Scotty
--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

posted to rec.boats.building

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:03:47 -0400,
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Am looking for plywood less than 4 mm. Apparently, Okoume has no rot
resistance so I'd like something else. However, I cannot even find
Okoume less than 5/32" thick.
Any ideas?

You can try Aircraftspruce. they have plywood down to 0.8 mm I
beleive.

A point that most people overlook is the weight of the plywood. Over
herer we have plywood made in Burma, Indonesia and Thailand - all made
from tropical hardwoods and in some cases nearly twice as heavy as
okoume. A boat built from okoume turns out to be substantially lighter
then one built from local supplied plywood.

Out of curosity, what are you going to use ply thinner then 4mm for?

Bruce

Bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

You bring up a good point. In some of the skiffs I built, Occoume is an
issue as it is not heavy enough for the boat to float the way it was
designed. Less mass to keep it from pitching, etc...

Scotty

Or perhaps one might say that the boat wasn't designed to use a light
weight material.... :-)

Or, referring to another thread, perhaps this is one of the dangers in
stealing construction plans :-(

Cheers,

Bruce
posted to rec.boats.building

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:03:47 -0400,
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

I hope you are not suggesting I stole plans. The rights to build
Brockway type work skiffs directly off of Earle's lines were given to me
directly by the family after Earle's death, period. Oh, then the author
of the book written on the plans by the University of Rhode Island, were
passed along to me by the author himself.. I used these lines and
techniques mixed with modern materials to build several of his
(Brockway) work skiffs. Some of the Occoume designs seemed to be light
with the newer materials.

In another thread I stated correctly that it is impossible to trademark
a hull or even stop someone from splasing it, never said I did or would.
I hope you are not suggesting I said or would do anything different...

Scotty

--
For a great time, go here first...
http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:36:38 -0400, I am Tosk
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:03:47 -0400,
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

No I wasn't. I was referring to the discussion in another thread that
started out with someone wanting some boat plans and someone else
responding that you had to get them from the designer and back and
forth...

And no, one cannot patent or copyright a hull form but you certainly
can copyright a set of construction plans.

Cheers,

Bruce