BoatBanter.com

-   -   Term for the ornate stern of ships like HMS Victory (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/112694-term-ornate-stern-ships-like-hms-victory.html)

Every time December 31st 09 02:19 AM

Term for the ornate stern of ships like HMS Victory

My question might be too estoteric for this group, but thought I'd
give it a try anyway.

I am trying to think of the term used to describe the ornate sterns of
ships such as the HMS Victory, with the windows and the gold
scrollwork, etc. It's on the tip of my tongue - I used to know what it
was called - but it just won't come to me.

Not fretwork, or cottagework, or Tudorwork, but something along those
lines.

Any help appreciated.

cavelamb December 31st 09 02:27 AM

Every time wrote:
My question might be too estoteric for this group, but thought I'd
give it a try anyway.

I am trying to think of the term used to describe the ornate sterns of
ships such as the HMS Victory, with the windows and the gold
scrollwork, etc. It's on the tip of my tongue - I used to know what it
was called - but it just won't come to me.

Not fretwork, or cottagework, or Tudorwork, but something along those
lines.

Any help appreciated.

I've heard it referred to as brightwork?

Bruce In Bangkok December 31st 09 03:45 AM

Term for the ornate stern of ships like HMS Victory

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:27:25 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Every time wrote:
My question might be too estoteric for this group, but thought I'd
give it a try anyway.

I am trying to think of the term used to describe the ornate sterns of
ships such as the HMS Victory, with the windows and the gold
scrollwork, etc. It's on the tip of my tongue - I used to know what it
was called - but it just won't come to me.

Not fretwork, or cottagework, or Tudorwork, but something along those
lines.

Any help appreciated.

I've heard it referred to as brightwork?

I think that "brightwork" usually refers to varnished or gilded trim.
Perhaps "coachwork", but it is a guess.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

cavelamb December 31st 09 04:07 AM

wrote:

Every time wrote:
My question might be too estoteric for this group, but thought I'd
give it a try anyway.

I am trying to think of the term used to describe the ornate sterns of
ships such as the HMS Victory, with the windows and the gold
scrollwork, etc. It's on the tip of my tongue - I used to know what it
was called - but it just won't come to me.

Not fretwork, or cottagework, or Tudorwork, but something along those
lines.

Any help appreciated.

I've heard it referred to as brightwork?

I think that "brightwork" usually refers to varnished or gilded trim.
Perhaps "coachwork", but it is a guess.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I think I picked that up from Patrick O'Brien.
The gilded part is the trick he was referring to.

Paint, in the olden days, wasn't used all that much.
Mostly for trim coloring, ala the Nelson Checker (black and white) with the
occasional blue or yellow. Red wasn't really available.

And varnish? Never heard of.
Lacquer, yes, but seldom on ships.

Richard

Bruce In Bangkok December 31st 09 10:16 AM

Term for the ornate stern of ships like HMS Victory

wrote:

Every time wrote:
[...]

Red not available? Red is one of the more common colors available to
primitive people. Iron oxide in one form or another. Barn paint was
ferrous oxide or even red laterite, lime and sour milk. However this
was hardly a bright, vibrant red :-)

Varnishes were available and used to protect paintings since at least
the 1400's and consisted of natural resins. But unlikely to have been
used aboard ship, other then perhaps the captains personal
furnishings.

Gordon December 31st 09 02:22 PM

wrote:

Every time wrote:
[...]

And red ochre used by many tribes around the world.

Every time December 31st 09 05:02 PM

Term for the ornate stern of ships like HMS Victory

Gingerbread! I knew it was something along those lines!

Thanks!

cavelamb December 31st 09 07:45 PM

wrote:

Every time wrote:
[...]

Exactly. The really really reds came from Germany just before WW-1

jim.isbell January 1st 10 04:27 PM

On Dec 31 2009, 11:02*am, Every time wrote:
Gingerbread! I knew it was something along those lines!

Thanks!

No, that is not it.

Its called the Taffrail.

Look in wikipedia for a picture of a "taffrail."

The term comes from the Dutch word for an ornately decorated stern of
a ship