BoatBanter.com

-   -   Polyester and Epoxy (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/101293-polyester-epoxy.html)

Pirateer guy January 8th 09 12:46 PM

Polyester and Epoxy

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 07:16:49 +0700, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 17:11:12 +0100, Heikki wrote:

Pirateer guy wrote:

The plywood
is available everywhere in the Philippines but the available composites
are fibergalss and polyester. The only available epoxy is the thick, grey
generic type.

Then in that case you aren't stitch and gluing anything. You have no
glue. Maybe the locals know that.

Don't be too harsh! Boats have been stitched together long before anyone had
epoxy. It might be quite possible to get structural strength from the
stitches, and cover up with something (poly+glass) only to keep it
watertight.

-H

True, but as soon as nails became available they stopped tying their
boats together....Stitching certainly works - when there is no other
solution.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Agreed, but you wouldn't build commercial boats out of it.
Were talking work boats here, not weekenders at the beach.

Bruce In Bangkok January 8th 09 01:17 PM

Polyester and Epoxy

Pirateer guy wrote:

[...]

Boats that guys use to earn a living... Commercial? Small business,
maybe, but I'd call them commercial..

Ineke and Ian January 11th 09 10:36 PM

Polyester and Epoxy

From my experience of building and repairing polyester/fibreglass canoes
damaged during rock-bashing/ white-water canoeing - polyester patches were
not durable and could be ripped off the damaged canoe, with very little
effort - where as epoxy patches showed much superior adhesion.
Applying polyester over epoxy would result in a useless bond - suggest you
test your proposed method with a small piece of fibreglass/polyester applied
to the stich and glue surface and try removing it after about one week.
I would use epoxy - apart from its superior adhesion and water resistance,
it is not as toxic as polyester - that sweet smell of polyester is cancer
producer whereas the nasty chemical in epoxy is not sufficiently volatile to
be a problem - just prevent skin contact with epoxy.
Where did I acquire this wisdom - building small multihulls using epoxy,
during the previous 17 years - see the Yacht Research Homepage under Project
Windrigger.
Ian Smith

"My news" wrote in message
Any advise or comment if I will use polyester and fiber glass on top of
cured and sanded epoxy on stich and glue? My plan is to prime the entire
hull with epoxy for a good bind before the application of
fiberglass/polyester skin.

I want to introduce this idea to the poor fishermen in the Philippines for
economic reason.

cavelamb January 11th 09 11:27 PM

Polyester and Epoxy

From my experience of building and repairing polyester/fibreglass canoes

"My news" wrote in message
Any advise or comment if I will use polyester and fiber glass on top of
cured and sanded epoxy on stich and glue? My plan is to prime the entire
hull with epoxy for a good bind before the application of
fiberglass/polyester skin.

I want to introduce this idea to the poor fishermen in the Philippines for
economic reason.

Hi Ian,

Looking over your work reminded me of a project I wanted to try some time back.
I thought it might be interesting to build a "strip planked" hull using strips
of blue construction foam and toothpicks. then glass inside and out - with
epoxy, of course...

Thanks for sharing.

Richard

axolotl[_2_] January 13th 09 11:49 PM

Polyester and Epoxy

cavelamb wrote:

I thought it might be interesting to build a "strip planked" hull using
strips
of blue construction foam and toothpicks. then glass inside and out - with
epoxy, of course...

Richard,

Back in the 60's Popular Mechanics / Science and Mechanics / Mechanics
Illustrated had a building article:

"Foamy, the boat you build with a razor blade"

I haven't been able to find it online.

Kevin Gallimore

cavelamb January 14th 09 01:11 AM

Polyester and Epoxy

axolotl wrote:
cavelamb wrote:

I thought it might be interesting to build a "strip planked" hull
using strips
of blue construction foam and toothpicks. then glass inside and out -
with
epoxy, of course...

Richard,

Back in the 60's Popular Mechanics / Science and Mechanics / Mechanics
Illustrated had a building article:

"Foamy, the boat you build with a razor blade"

I haven't been able to find it online.

Kevin Gallimore

Cool.

Did you try the PM archives?

Richard

axolotl[_2_] January 14th 09 02:23 AM

Polyester and Epoxy

cavelamb wrote:

Did you try the PM archives?

Didn't see it. My unreliable 40 year old recollection is that it was in
Science and Mechanics.

Kevin Gallimore