BoatBanter.com

-   -   Catamarans have something extra.... (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/84996-catamarans-have-something-extra.html)

otnmbrd August 23rd 07 07:40 PM

Catamarans have something extra....

Some ships are using one man bridge watches but generally you'll find a
Mate and one helmsman/lookout...average crew size is 21 and decreasing,
with lowest I've seen being certified for six.
Paperwork has become the biggest problem for all...depending on the ship
the Mate may be or may not be allowed to do paperwork on the
bridge.....too much of the paperework is just to justify the existence of
the various regulators and company pencil pushers who are too lazy to dig
through to find the info on their own BEG.
As for getting a yacht from Bangkok to West Coast US..... hardest part
would be getting it to Japan or Korea for a carcarrier. Point being that
there are alternate methods to container ships, but as was stated end
result may not justify expense

(Richard Casady) wrote in
:

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:05:01 -0000, otnmbrd
wrote:

wrote in news:qaupc3h03p9djjkjr2fidcn3tmfhs02em2@
4ax.com:

Where you folks get your versions of ship's crew is beyond me.

In my case, pure guesswork. I can see getting by without the lookout
and/or the helmsman. The Captain is stuck with all the paperwork.
And that has to be damn near full time? Or is it? Could be a lot less
of that than there used to be, if it is now mostly done on shore.

So, you got in your sneer, now tell us the true facts.

Plenty of "breakbulk" still running...

You see them on the webcam at the canal.

Casady

[email protected] August 24th 07 03:36 AM

Catamarans have something extra....

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:40:14 -0000, otnmbrd
wrote:

Some ships are using one man bridge watches but generally you'll find a
Mate and one helmsman/lookout...average crew size is 21 and decreasing,
with lowest I've seen being certified for six.
Paperwork has become the biggest problem for all...depending on the ship
the Mate may be or may not be allowed to do paperwork on the
bridge.....too much of the paperework is just to justify the existence of
the various regulators and company pencil pushers who are too lazy to dig
through to find the info on their own BEG.
As for getting a yacht from Bangkok to West Coast US..... hardest part
would be getting it to Japan or Korea for a carcarrier. Point being that
there are alternate methods to container ships, but as was stated end
result may not justify expense

The "hardest part" was getting the damned boat to America at a price
less then the sales price. We could have shipped it many ways - sail
to Singapore and put it on a container boat there; barge it somewhere.
The problem was that everything we looked into, and we did have
professional freight people working on the problem, cost too much
money. The owner even looked into sailing it back.

The problem got solved when another bloke came along and offered to
buy it. The owner e-mailed the U.S. bidder and told him what the costs
were and he withdrew his offer immediately. Which left the door open
to selling it locally.

(Richard Casady) wrote in
:

wrote:

wrote in news:qaupc3h03p9djjkjr2fidcn3tmfhs02em2@
4ax.com:

Where you folks get your versions of ship's crew is beyond me.

In my case, pure guesswork. I can see getting by without the lookout
and/or the helmsman. The Captain is stuck with all the paperwork.
And that has to be damn near full time? Or is it? Could be a lot less
of that than there used to be, if it is now mostly done on shore.

So, you got in your sneer, now tell us the true facts.

Plenty of "breakbulk" still running...

You see them on the webcam at the canal.

Casady

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Captain Crunch August 25th 07 03:16 PM

Catamarans have something extra....

"Kula" eeolson(thapt spam eaters)hawaii.rr.com wrote in message

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message
. ..
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

My fine blue water yacht and I have been through 4 tropical storms and
12 hurricanes to date.

What kind of boat do you have?

Forget that. I want to know: what are the odds? Since tropical storms
out number hurricanes what ... 10-1.

He heads out to find the Hurry-Kanes. Those 4 tropical storms were
Hurry-Kanes when he left port, but Petered Out (like Gaynze)

Scotty August 25th 07 04:51 PM

Catamarans have something extra....

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

How about passing international law that all shipping

containers must be
loaded,

now *that's* the dumbest thing I've read all week.

SBV

KLC Lewis August 25th 07 04:51 PM

Catamarans have something extra....

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

How about passing international law that all shipping

containers must be
loaded,

now *that's* the dumbest thing I've read all week.

SBV

I'm entirely capable of coming up with dumber stuff.

Wilbur Hubbard August 25th 07 08:19 PM

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

My fine blue water yacht and I have been through 4 tropical storms
and 12 hurricanes to date.

What kind of boat do you have?

Forget that. I want to know: what are the odds? Since tropical
storms out number hurricanes what ... 10-1.

I hope you aren't foolish enough to be calling me a liar.

And, for your information, all hurricanes ARE tropical storms but not
all tropical storms are hurricanes. Gotcha!

So, don't make me mad or I'll have to post the list. I've been sailing
since 1985 and can reconstruct the list from my whereabouts all those
years. I can use this:
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/gu...k/htrack2.html
Or, I think I have a copy of it saved to CD or on the hard drive of an
old laptop.

Wilbur Hubbard

[email protected] August 25th 07 09:02 PM

Catamarans have something extra....

now *that's* the dumbest thing I've read all week.

"KLC Lewis" wrote
I'm entirely capable of coming up with dumber stuff.

You mean, like trying to argue with a sockpuppet on the internet?

"Wilbur" I mean, not Scotty.

DSK

[email protected] August 26th 07 03:08 AM

Catamarans have something extra....

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:19:19 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

My fine blue water yacht and I have been through 4 tropical storms
and 12 hurricanes to date.

What kind of boat do you have?

Forget that. I want to know: what are the odds? Since tropical
storms out number hurricanes what ... 10-1.

I hope you aren't foolish enough to be calling me a liar.

I don't know. What do you call an individual who posts with a
fictitious name from a bogus web site and claims to own Roy Disney's
modified 68 ft. Swan, Pyewacket?

And, for your information, all hurricanes ARE tropical storms but not
all tropical storms are hurricanes. Gotcha!

So, don't make me mad or I'll have to post the list. I've been sailing
since 1985 and can reconstruct the list from my whereabouts all those
years. I can use this:
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/gu...k/htrack2.html
Or, I think I have a copy of it saved to CD or on the hard drive of an
old laptop.

i.e., figure out where the storms had been and then claim to have been
there?

You will remember that you were asked where you had cruised and that
you replied that you wouldn't unveil your cruises because they were
for your satisfaction only.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

KLC Lewis August 26th 07 06:08 AM

Catamarans have something extra....

wrote in message
oups.com...
now *that's* the dumbest thing I've read all week.

"KLC Lewis" wrote
I'm entirely capable of coming up with dumber stuff.

You mean, like trying to argue with a sockpuppet on the internet?

"Wilbur" I mean, not Scotty.

DSK

Na, I never try to argue with Wilbur, er, Crap'n Kneel. I do, however,
retain the right to poke him with sticks from time to time.

Scotty August 26th 07 04:41 PM

Catamarans have something extra....

"KLC Lewis" wrote in

How about passing international law that all shipping

containers must be
loaded,

now *that's* the dumbest thing I've read all week.

SBV

I'm entirely capable of coming up with dumber stuff.

Well, that would be hard to top, though I'm confident you'll
try your hardest.

Scotty