posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Vikings are coming back. Be prepared

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6259760.stm#map

A Viking ship has set sail for Dublin from the Danish port of Roskilde, in
an attempt to recreate the voyages undertaken by early Norsemen.
The 30m (100ft) long replica, called Sea Stallion, is said to be the world's
largest reconstructed Viking vessel.

It is based on a ship made nearly 1,000 years ago in Ireland, which in 1962
was excavated from the Roskilde fjord.

A crew of 65 volunteers will travel the 1,900km (1,200 miles) to Dublin,
using only oar and sail power.

The original, which was made in 1042, is believed to have taken part in
clashes between the Anglo-Saxons and Normans in 1050-1060, when many Danish
Vikings lived in Ireland.

The boat sank in the Roskilde fjord at the end of the 11th Century, while
defending the country's coast from Norwegian Vikings.

The replica was constructed with around 300 oak trees and 7,000 iron nails
and rivets.

Rough weather

It has a top speed 15-20 knots (about 30km/h or 20mph), but is equipped with
GPS satellite navigation and radar. A modern support boat with medical and
rescue experts will also accompany the ship.

The aim of the voyage is to sail uninterrupted to Dublin across the North
Sea and around the north tip of Scotland.

The crew say the toughest challenge will be the weather, with no shelter on
the open vessel from crashing waves, wind or rain.

"After all, we are testing the construction. Can it resist the rough
weather? And the nights get really cold," Louise Henriksen, a 27-year-old
historian and crew member, said.

"If we get 10 hours of rain and storms, we still need to be able to laugh to
survive," said Claus Oreskov, 46, a Danish crew member.

"What all crew members have in common is that we all are a bit crazy."

The ship hopes to reach Dublin on 14 August.

The ship's crew will be writing a weekly diary for the BBC News webiste.
More regular updates and a satellite map of the ship's latest position can
be found at BBC History's Viking Voyage website.

Vikings Boat Scandal Saga Smithers General 0 December 17th 05 02:00 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
Seven Days in the Sea of Cortez, Part 1 [email protected] Touring 5 January 13th 05 05:52 AM
dog stolen from marina Roy G. Biv ASA 5 October 21st 04 05:30 AM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM