posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Best Pocket Cruiser

Ben Turpin wrote:
I need some recommendations for a pocket cruiser in the size 18-22 ft.
It must be trailerable. I've looked at the more obvious ones such as
the Catalina 22 and WWP-19. Any others I should look at? At Compacs
really worth the premium?

Thanks in advance,

Depends very much on what characteristics you're looking for. For a
trailerable boat, it makes sense to look at boats within a given range
of towing weights as much as it does length. If you are going to
trailer it regularly, it also makes sense to check how deep/steep a
ramp you need to launch and how much work it takes to set the mast up.
The easier it is to use, the more you will sail it.

My wife & I had a lot of fun with a trailerable cruiser/racer for
about ten years, and we were members in several sailing clubs then. It
was amazing the hassle that some people went thru with their boats. It
was also surprising the rationalization that people went thru to
justify it.... no more so than owners of bigger in-water boats
though...

Boats to look at (no particular order)-
Beneteau 210
Beneteau 235
Bay Hen 21
Nordica 20
Paceship 23
Santana 23 and 2023
Cornish Crabber 19
Hunter 23.5 & 240
S2 6.9
Venture (MacGregor) 21, 22
Precision 21
Seaward
Windrose
Starwind

Basically I'd suggest going to look at as many boats as you can
manage. The more time you spend choosing carefully, the more you will
enjoy the boat.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King