posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Pirate Master - the new 'survivor' on an old tyme sailing vessel?

This stuck me as odd. I was bored tonight, my wife was flipping
through the channels and came across this new TV show Pirate Master.
It started out pretty much like a survivor show- of which I could
never force myself to watch a full episode. This had my attention
because it was on this old sailing ship- I couldn't get a good feel
for the vessel itself, how authentic it is, what type of vessel. Old
sailing vessels are great but it would take me a good long look and
mybe even pulling out a book to determine what class it would be.

The show... okay back to the show... They took a bunch of people (most
of whom had never sailed) and now they are trying to pass them off as
pirates. HAHA. As a merchant marine I thought that it was funny to see
these guys out there, one of the women throwing up over the light roll
of the sea. They were all dressed up in mock pirate clothes and even
the men seemed to have eye liner. This must be the Johnny Depp effect.
I get it- Pirates of the Caribbean 3 is out- so I guess now all
pirates are going to be made to look like flambouyant homosexuals with
giant feathers in their hats and gobs of eye make-up.

I don't think anyone on the cast has any idea of what it meant to be a
pirate- that they lived by a code of honor and they were had the
purest form of democracy. Most pirate crews picked the most popular
and most fair man to be the captain. They chose the man who would
share the loot, not the man who would betray them and keep it all for
themselves. The pirates of old were the toughest men on the water, not
pretty boys in eye make-up. I find it all to be rather frightening
that we have come to depict these men as fairies.

Back to the show... They had a lame little 'challenge' where they
rowed out to find a chest. Neither was very adept at rowing- one team
forgot to use the rudder. I remember that in the beginning of the
show, the host said that they had taught these folks how to sail. I
wonder if that means just on a sail boat? How much were they told?
Probably just enough to keep themselves from getting killed.

Did anyone else see this? What were your thoughts on the show? I don't
know if I will watch again, but I do have an almost morbid curiousity
to see if someone falls overboard- or if a good storm hits and they
all get sick. I wish that they would make these 'reality' shows a
little more realistic- then maybe I wouldn't hate them so much.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 1, 1:05 am, Maritimelinks wrote:
[...]

I watched about 5 min of it.
Dumb...like a bunch of drag queens on a disney ride.

Nice boat from what little I saw of her.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On May 31, 11:05 pm, Maritimelinks wrote:
[...]

I heard about this before and actually sent in an application. They
didn't call me back but I figure a couple of months at sea on a
tallship with the possibility of a million bucks, why not? My
girlfriend says they didn't pick me because I have more than half a
brain and am not completely incompetent at everything I do. She says
that would put me at an unfair advantage. I don't know. I didn't
watch it, I was working on building my new boat. I hope it gets
better maybe then I'll watch an episode or two. maybe I'll even apply
again next year.

Bill

Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 1 April 19th 05 10:08 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 October 27th 04 05:24 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 October 8th 04 05:24 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 July 13th 04 05:17 AM