Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Global Warming Debunked

Is Al Gore, hitching his reputation to a lie?
Most reputable scientists think so.

Here is another opinion.

Global warming debunked
By ANDREW SWALLOW
The Timaru Herald
Saturday, 19 May 2007

Climate change will be considered a joke
in five years time, meteorologist Augie Auer
told the annual meeting of Mid Canterbury
Federated Farmers in Ashburton this week.

Man's contribution to the greenhouse gases
was so small we couldn't change the climate
if we tried, he maintained.

"We're all going to survive this. It's all going
to be a joke in five years," he said.

A combination of misinterpreted and misguided
science, media hype, and political spin had
created the current hysteria and it was time to
put a stop to it.

"It is time to attack the myth of global warming,"
he said.

Water vapour was responsible for 95 per cent
of the greenhouse effect, an effect which was
vital to keep the world warm, he explained.

"If we didn't have the greenhouse effect the planet
would be at minus 18 deg C but because we do
have the greenhouse effect it is plus 15 deg C,
all the time."

The other greenhouse gases: carbon dioxide,
methane, nitrogen dioxide, and various others
including CFCs, contributed only five per cent
of the effect, carbon dioxide being by far the
greatest contributor at 3.6 per cent.

However, carbon dioxide as a result of man's
activities was only 3.2 per cent of that, hence
only 0.12 per cent of the greenhouse gases in
total. Human-related methane, nitrogen dioxide
and CFCs etc made similarly minuscule
contributions to the effect: 0.066, 0.047 and
0.046 per cent respectively.

"That ought to be the end of the argument, there
and then," he said.

"We couldn't do it (change the climate) even if
we wanted to because water vapour dominates."

Yet the Greens continued to use phrases such
as "The planet is groaning under the weight of
CO2" and Government policies were about to
hit industries such as farming, he warned.

"The Greens are really going to go after you
because you put out 49 per cent of the countries
emissions. Does anybody ask 49 per cent of
what? Does anybody know how small that number
is?

"It's become a witch-hunt; a Salem witch-hunt,"
he said.