posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sea Stories Contest on MaritimeLinks Forum

Hey all, I wanted to post this here for you all to see since the new
Merchant Marine group hasn't caught on yet. I want to get our messages
out there and let people know who the Merchant Mariners are - what we
do- and just how damn important it is that we get support from our
lawmakers.

In doing this I have started a website, a new directory http://www.maritimelinks.net
a blog for me to rant a little, and a Google Groups page.
http://groups.google.com/group/maritimelinksnet
So look for us and join and discuss whatever the hell you want to.

I would especially encourage you to participate in our Sea Stories
Competition. We have a prize for the winner, basically the best teller
of thier tale- something personal, or something made up. and it will
not be decided only by me and my staff, but by you in a poll posted on
the website. I will choose a certain number of finalists and then have
people vote for the winner. I have a great prize for the winner- a
Merchant Marine Plaque made of domestic and exotic woods- beautiful
craftsmanship.

So please swing on by- sign up and join in on some of the discussions
we have going on. We would be more than happy to meet you, to hear
your stories, and express your opinions! It only counts if you say it
to someone!

Casey O
Editor - Co-Owner MaritimeLinks.net
http://www.maritimelinks.net

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On May 27, 11:34 pm, Maritimelinks wrote:
Hey all, I wanted to post this here for you all to see since the new
Merchant Marine group hasn't caught on yet. I want to get our messages
out there and let people know who the Merchant Mariners are - what we
do- and just how damn important it is that we get support from our
lawmakers.

Could it be, oh no, all the people that might be interested are

at sea...

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On May 29, 12:38 pm, Bart wrote:
On May 27, 11:34 pm, Maritimelinks wrote:

Hey all, I wanted to post this here for you all to see since the new
Merchant Marine group hasn't caught on yet. I want to get our messages
out there and let people know who the Merchant Mariners are - what we
do- and just how damn important it is that we get support from our
lawmakers.

Could it be, oh no, all the people that might be interested are

at sea...

Many MM ships are being fitted out with the internet. It's trickleing
down to the pleasure mkt...but to slow IMO.

And most work a on/off schedule that gives them time ashore. My
favorite schedule was 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. My uncle worked 3mo on 6
mo off.

I'd like to see a picture of that merchant marine plaque and see if
it's worth submitting a story.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On May 30, 7:54 am, Joe wrote:
On May 29, 12:38 pm, Bart wrote:

[...]

Well if it isn't worth it to you - don't bother, but the plaque is
nice. Goto this link for a picture of it.
http://groups.google.com/group/marit...eb/sea-stories

I found a place that makes up some real nice art items and I was
impressed with it, so I thought it might be something cool to get
people. I think that most of the people who actually sail would be
getting a month - two maybe three on and maybe an equal amount off. So
there should be a fair number of people who would be interested ashore
at any given time. I thought I would mention it to people here just in
case someone is interested.

My ship had satellite internet - MSC ships all had satellite internet
and a good deal of them have some form of dial up or wireless
broadband now believe it or not.

Joe- I hope you will submit something to us- I am sure you have a sea
story or two.

Thanks,

Casey
editor
http://www.maritimelinks.net
http://groups.google.com/group/maritimelinksnet/

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 1, 1:21 am, Maritimelinks wrote:
On May 30, 7:54 am, Joe wrote:

On May 29, 12:38 pm, Bart wrote:

[...]

editorhttp://www.maritimelinks.nethttp://groups.google.com/group/maritimelinksnet/- Hide quoted text -

That sure is a nice plaque Casey...I'll dig up a story and submit it
soon.

Thanks
Joe