posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Hey Max!

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Oz,

Due taking Predisone For my MG I developed Cataracts in both Eyes. I had
plastic lenses put in both eyes.

I had double vision due to the Myasthenia Gravis. It required some
pretty high doses of Predisone to help the eye muscles to correct the DV
but screwed up the lenses
The plastic lenses were a God Send.

When I get tired the double vision acts up and when I read (Close
Vision) it is still there but they put a prism in the bifocals that lets
me read the 'fine print'

P/S I still take 10 mg of Pred. ever other day. I can't get off it but
10 eod isn't to bad.

Good luck with your decision. I myself find no problem with glasses and
they do add protection.

Thom: You apparently are what is known as a "steroid responder," having
developed lens opacities secondary to steroid use. Did you have an
undesirable response with your intraocular pressures as well (relating to
glaucoma)?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I'm not to sure of what you're talking about but no problem with
glaucoma, as yet anyway.

As I get older I do tire easier. It made me think that I might be
getting a film over the lense in the right eye but the test proved me
wrong.

Yes, the reaction of Pred.(Steriod)`was the cause of my eye problem but
the plastic gave me better vision than I had even before predisone.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
I'm not to sure of what you're talking about but no problem with
glaucoma, as yet anyway.

Steroid responders--those whose eyes react negatively to steroids--can form
cataracts and experience elevated intraocular pressures (IOPs) as a
consequence of using the drugs. You obviously developed the cataracts--I'm
betting they were *posterior subcapsular* types--but perhaps not the high
IOPs. Hopefully your situation will remain that way.

Max

JML Sigs