posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sailboat vs Tugboat

May 14, 5:43 PM EDT

Shipping Canal Closed After Collision

CHESAPEAKE CITY, Md. (AP) -- Cargo traffic along a shipping
canal was halted Monday after a sailboat sank in a collision
with a tugboat, authorities said.

The Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, a transit point for cargo
ships headed to and from the Port of Baltimore, was closed
while crews removed the wreckage of the sailboat at 3 a.m.
near Chesapeake City, about 30 miles southwest of
Wilmington, Del.

A 3-foot section of the 45-foot schooner's mast jutted out
of the water, said Scott Winslow, a search and rescue
controller with the Coast Guard in Baltimore.

Winslow he did not know how long the canal would be closed.

"That's the million dollar question," he said.

The 14-mile canal cuts through the northern
Maryland-Delaware peninsula, connecting the Chesapeake and
Delaware bays. It provides a shortcut of about 300 miles for
marine traffic between Philadelphia and Baltimore.

By Monday afternoon, the closing had affected two large
container vessels, as well as six tugs and barges, Winslow
said.

Three people aboard the Heron, based in Port Monmouth, N.J.,
were treated at a hospital for minor injuries and released,
Winslow said. The Coast Guard reported no injuries aboard
the tugboat.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
[...]

So why did they collide? WHo's fault was it? What are the specifics of
the accident?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message

So why did they collide? WHo's fault was it? What are the

specifics of
the accident?

that's what I'd like to know.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On May 17, 12:04 pm, "Scotty" wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

So why did they collide? WHo's fault was it? What are the

specifics of
the accident?

that's what I'd like to know.

Last I heard the tug boat company was paying to have the sailboat
salvaged..pretty much admits guilt IMO, but then I also read that the
lady on the wheel freaked on the tugs lights and turned right in front
of the tug.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Wouldn't waste time speculat'n till the report comes out

Joe wrote in news:1179432293.998297.11980
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

"katy" wrote in message

So why did they collide? WHo's fault was it? What are the

specifics of
the accident?

that's what I'd like to know.

Last I heard the tug boat company was paying to have the sailboat
salvaged..pretty much admits guilt IMO, but then I also read that the
lady on the wheel freaked on the tugs lights and turned right in front
of the tug.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Won't it most likely end up a percentage on both sides?

Scotty

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
25.201...
Wouldn't waste time speculat'n till the report comes out

Joe wrote in

@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

On May 17, 12:04 pm, "Scotty"

wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

So why did they collide? WHo's fault was it? What are

the
specifics of
the accident?

that's what I'd like to know.

Last I heard the tug boat company was paying to have the

sailboat
salvaged..pretty much admits guilt IMO, but then I also

read that the
lady on the wheel freaked on the tugs lights and turned

right in front
of the tug.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
Won't it most likely end up a percentage on both sides?

Scotty

Don't bother asking that ******. He'll say something uncommittal such
as, "Six of one half dozen of another." Otn never has an opinion about
anything. He's a fence sitter only he doesn't sit on the rail. He sits
on the post and as it gradually slides further and further in the smile
on his faces gets bigger and bigger.

Ask him what's he doing and he'll say, "I can't say until the complete
report comes in." The man is useless as a source of information. Any and
all accidents involving idiot motor vessel pilots who sink and kill
people or crash into docks and kill people are not worthy of even
thinking about and deciding on one's own how such a think could have and
should have been avoided. No, just ignore it until the report comes in.
This is the type of person at the helm of most large fast ships. Is it
any wonder avoidable accidents with fatalities continue to occur at an
alarming rate?

Wilbur Hubbard

25.201...

wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

So why did they collide? WHo's fault was it? What are

the
specifics of
the accident?

that's what I'd like to know.

Last I heard the tug boat company was paying to have the

sailboat
salvaged..pretty much admits guilt IMO, but then I also

read that the
lady on the wheel freaked on the tugs lights and turned

right in front
of the tug.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in
:

Won't it most likely end up a percentage on both sides?

Scotty

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
25.201...
Wouldn't waste time speculat'n till the report comes out

odds are, yes.

The only solid info I have is that a tug and sailboat collided and the
sailboat sank..... course idiots like "Nitwit Neal" and his latest
sockpuppet "Wilberforce Rhubarb" will take that little bit of info and turn
it into a three ring circus of conjecture based (typically) on scanty
information.