posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Checkstays and Running Backstays

What is the difference between a Checkstay and a
Running Backstay? [1 pt]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On May 15, 1:21 pm, Bart wrote:
What is the difference between a Checkstay and a
Running Backstay? [1 pt]

I guess we don't have any knowledgeable sailors
in the group, if no one knows the answer to this one!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On May 18, 10:15 pm, Bart wrote:
On May 15, 1:21 pm, Bart wrote:

What is the difference between a Checkstay and a
Running Backstay? [1 pt]

I guess we don't have any knowledgeable sailors
in the group, if no one knows the answer to this one!

One checks in a slot on a track, one just block and tackle.

Just guessing, I have no ideal to tell you the truth.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On May 15, 1:21�pm, Bart wrote:
What is the difference between a Checkstay and a
Running Backstay? *[1 pt]

A running backstay is usually found on a fractional rig. It attaches
to the mast near the headstay attachment point and is used to adjust
headstay tension since the backstay on a fractional is used mostly to
bend the mast. Checkstays are usually found on a masthead rig and
usually attach at 1 or 2 points around the middle and upper third of
the mast. They are used to straighten the rig to power it up.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On May 19, 12:37 am, Ringmaster wrote:
On May 15, 1:21?pm, Bart wrote:

What is the difference between a Checkstay and a
Running Backstay? ?[1 pt]

A running backstay is usually found on a fractional rig. It attaches
to the mast near the headstay attachment point and is used to adjust
headstay tension since the backstay on a fractional is used mostly to
bend the mast. Checkstays are usually found on a masthead rig and
usually attach at 1 or 2 points around the middle and upper third of
the mast. They are used to straighten the rig to power it up.

1 point to you. Good answer. It gets interesting when you try to
figure out how much tension to put in each part of a checkstay,
assuming there are more than one attachment point.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

What is the difference between a Checkstay and a
Running Backstay? ?[1 pt]

A running backstay is intended to tension the forestay, a checkstay is
intended to control mast bend.

Ringmaster wrote:
A running backstay is usually found on a fractional rig.

Or a gaff rig. Or a masthead rig with a very long boom (rare).

... It attaches
to the mast near the headstay attachment point and is used to adjust
headstay tension since the backstay on a fractional is used mostly to
bend the mast.

Hmmm... on many rigs, yes, depends on just how "fractional" it is and
the mast section. Ever sailed a boat with jumpers that were adjustable
from the deck?

.... Checkstays are usually found on a masthead rig and
usually attach at 1 or 2 points around the middle and upper third of
the mast. They are used to straighten the rig to power it up.

I''ve seen a lot of frac boats with both running backs & checks. A
PITA IMHO. But it does give you more strings to play with... another
excuse for not winning, and another way to break the mast.

BTW we were in Rock Creek last week Stayed at MYC for a few hours, had
lunch, then got back on the run.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King