posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Bush's Continued Shameful Treatment of Wounded Veterans

"Nathan Branden" wrote in message
I am beginning to think Bush should be impeached. How can he allow
such shameful medical treatment of brave men (and women, though they
don't belong there) wounded in battle? Is this how America thanks
those who gave the most? The Democrats should sieze the issue and run
with it. Forget about Gonzalez and Rove, they are just diversions. The
Democrats should really show they support the troops through immediate
action.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/news_artic...?storyid=56746

Please, everyone write letters to your Senators and Congressman. We
can't discard and abuse those who defend America.

Nathan

I'm a Korean War veteran and let me tell you about the mistreatment of
veterans not only by the government but by civilians too. People today don't
have the respect for veterans like they used to in the old days. In the old
days everyone was a veteran, everyone knew what it was like. Today, few and
far between serve our country in the armed forces. I'm writing letters to my
representatives for them to pass a new law requiring civilians to salute all
veterans when outdoors. Veterans will be able to wear a badge or armband
that shows they served. Everyone stands for the National Anthem at sporting
events, say the pledge with their hand over their heart so why not just give
a veteran a salute? Children can be indoctrinated into this custom at an
early age in grade school. By high school it will be a natural reflex and
vets will get the recognition they so deserve.

Lloyd Bonafide

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"LLoyd Bonafide" wrote
: .... People today don't
: have the respect for veterans like they used to in the old days.

You're right, but to get respect you have to be respectable. WW2 was a
hardship for anybody in the military and thanks to them we don't have to
speak Japanese or German so the vets were universally respected. Most
Americans thought that beating back the communist attack in Korea was
important too, and hence respect the vets who got the job done. Ditto the
first Gulf War.

But Vietnam was different. A tiny group of "Whiz Kids" who came in with JFK
short circuited constitutional checks and balances and suckered us into that
fight. Then, despite the heroic efforts of most vets, they micro-managed it
into a shameful defeat. Worse yet they got away with it. The military and
Vets blamed the peace freaks and vice versa while McNamara (for one example)
went on to head the World Bank and destroy the dollar. Deja vu .....

Iraq is like 'nam all over again. Nobody can explain why it was in our
interest to topple Saddam. Oil? No, he was eager to sell all we wanted. We
imposed the embargo, remember. WMDs? Nope. He once had some he used on Kurds
and Iranians but obviously destroyed any that remained. Terrorism? Saddam
did pay pensions to families of suicide bombers who attacked Israel but as
far as al qaida or bin Ladin go he was their worst enemy in the region,
killing them out of hand to protect himself. So what are we getting out of
all this wasted treasury and 3000 lives? What is Blundering Bush getting
out of it? Same thing LBJ got out of 'nam??

Our military is being micromanaged into defeat, just like in 'nam! The
Generals wanted 500,000 men to PACIFY the country! They got enough to
topple Saddam! Saddam's army was rated 3rd best in the world - hardened
vets who had fought Iran to a draw equipped with the best the USSR had to
offer - but our guys walked through them like a hot knife thru butter ...
and that otta earn everybody's respect just as winning every battle should
have earned the nam vets everybody's respect. But nobody respects a looser
and thanks to Blundering Bush we are loosing the peace. Our troops were
trained as soldiers not cops! They had to leave tons of Saddam's explosives
unguarded because the 350,000 men needed to secure them were never provided.
So those depots got robbed just like the banks and museums got robbed and
now those explosives are being used to kill our best and finest young men
and women! Any fool could have predicted that, but not Bush and Rummy! Our
soldiers had Sadr's militia trapped in a mosque ready for slaughter - but
word Washington said back off and let them go. Predictably, that same
militia is killing our men and women - again thanks to you know who. So, as
in 'nam, even our best are being ground down. Their gear is wearing out and
so is their moral. Sooner or later word will come from Washington to leave
and when we do the military will blame the peace freaks and they will
disrespect the military and the only winners will be the politicians who got
rich off it - just like 'nam. Sorry about that .....