posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa

Default I've become such a wimp

Used to keep my sailboat at out-of-the-way places with no other boats
and no facilities at all. However, for the past two years I have kept
her at the local yacht club with a clubhouse, a nice dock, water,
power (still dont use power), ice, etc. Recently, I was offered a
dock at half the price of my current slip and considered it for awhile
and then turned it down. Basically, I like having these niceties and
I like occasionally seeing other boaters around to commiserate with.
Following the bad examples of the other boaters around me, I am
actually going to pay a diver to clean my boats bottom instead of
doing it myself. Am not sure if this is the result of old age or just
general wimpiness but still havent succumbed to using shore power.

posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ps.com...
Used to keep my sailboat at out-of-the-way places with no other boats
and no facilities at all. However, for the past two years I have kept
her at the local yacht club with a clubhouse, a nice dock, water,
power (still dont use power), ice, etc. Recently, I was offered a
dock at half the price of my current slip and considered it for awhile
and then turned it down. Basically, I like having these niceties and
I like occasionally seeing other boaters around to commiserate with.
Following the bad examples of the other boaters around me, I am
actually going to pay a diver to clean my boats bottom instead of
doing it myself. Am not sure if this is the result of old age or just
general wimpiness but still havent succumbed to using shore power.

Hey, if you're going to be a marina maggot you might as well go the
whole route. That means plugging in cable TV, Internet, 120VAC,
telephone and water hose. Be sure to install a water heater, shower,
microwave oven, flat panel TV, refrigerator/freezer, washer/drier, fresh
water deck washdown pump, etc. etc. etc. Be the best wimp you can be. .
..

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ps.com...
Used to keep my sailboat at out-of-the-way places with no other boats
and no facilities at all. However, for the past two years I have kept
her at the local yacht club with a clubhouse, a nice dock, water,
power (still dont use power), ice, etc. Recently, I was offered a
dock at half the price of my current slip and considered it for awhile
and then turned it down. Basically, I like having these niceties and
I like occasionally seeing other boaters around to commiserate with.
Following the bad examples of the other boaters around me, I am
actually going to pay a diver to clean my boats bottom instead of
doing it myself. Am not sure if this is the result of old age or just
general wimpiness but still havent succumbed to using shore power.

I crewed on a Viking 28 and then a Mirage 33 for 5 years and even though the
boat was kept at the nicest yacht squadron in the East at a slip, we only
used shore power a half dozen times while working on the boat. We did have
the proper cord and connectors, although I found the cord about 8 feet short
when the sailboat was in bow first. It reached the proper connector on the
boat but was kind or streatched & strung tight.
The hull would be cleaned each fall at haulout time... but not much was ever
there due to the anti-fouling paint.

posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:55:54 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

That means plugging in cable TV, Internet, 120VAC,
telephone and water hose. Be sure to install a water heater, shower,
microwave oven, flat panel TV, refrigerator/freezer, washer/drier, fresh
water deck washdown pump, etc. etc. etc.

You've seen my boat?

Those are all necessities of a civilized life style.

wrote:

That means plugging in cable TV, Internet, 120VAC,
telephone and water hose. Be sure to install a water heater, shower,
microwave oven, flat panel TV, refrigerator/freezer, washer/drier, fresh
water deck washdown pump, etc. etc. etc.

You've seen my boat?

Those are all necessities of a civilized life style.

Regrettably, I don't have the washer/drier.

wrote:

That means plugging in cable TV, Internet, 120VAC,
telephone and water hose. Be sure to install a water heater, shower,
microwave oven, flat panel TV, refrigerator/freezer, washer/drier,
fresh
water deck washdown pump, etc. etc. etc.

You've seen my boat?

Those are all necessities of a civilized life style.

So why don't you get a golf cart with all of the above then? Why don't
you put all that in your car? A boat isn't supposed to represent a
lifestyle. It's supposed to represent a diversion from a lifestyle.
Stupid prick!

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:01:03 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

So why don't you get a golf cart with all of the above then? Why don't
you put all that in your car? A boat isn't supposed to represent a
lifestyle. It's supposed to represent a diversion from a lifestyle.
Stupid prick!

Wilbur Hubbard

Well Wilbur, stupid is as stupid does.

Have you ever lived in a golf cart or car for 6 months?

I suggest giving it a try and then returning for a polite little chat
about your requirements.

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 00:00:21 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

Have you ever lived in a golf cart or car for 6 months?

Well, not exactly a car, but Neal lived aboard this vessel for years.

http://captneal.homestead.com/Vessel.html
posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 5, 2:03 am, thunder wrote:
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 00:00:21 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:
Have you ever lived in a golf cart or car for 6 months?

Well, not exactly a car, but Neal lived aboard this vessel for years.

http://captneal.homestead.com/Vessel.html

Looks as small as a golf cart.

Joe