BoatBanter.com

-   -   Stay tension (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/77850-stay-tension.html)

Walt January 30th 07 09:06 PM

Stay tension

Edgar wrote:
"Ellen MacArthur" wrote
"Walt" wrote

BTW, dinghy sailors know how to tune rig tension ourselves.
We don't need a $110/hr consultant to do it for us.

How do you do it?

No, it is not harder. Tighten all three up to a decent tension so that the
mast is upright and there is no slackness that can lead to fatigue failure
when not in use. Then, when you hoist your jib, tension up the jib really
hard so that the forestay does go a bit slack and the luff wire of the jib
has all the tension. The remaining two shrouds will then be correctly
tensioned.

Well, this depends on the boat. I'd say consult the tuning guide for
your boat and sails. (yes, the progeny of the sails makes a difference.)

For my boat, I keep the forestay very loose with several inches of sag.
Then I raise the jib on shore and tension the rig to 150 lbs as measured
by a Loos gauge - at this point the forestay is completely slack. This
gives me a nominal setting which I mark, and I'll go up or down from
there as needed. The jib halyard is tweaked constantly while sailing
(every 30 to 60 seconds) as conditions dictate - more tension for
pointing, less for speed, and quite slack when sailing off the wind.

Other boats are different. Don't try this with a keelboat.

//Walt

Edgar January 30th 07 10:19 PM

Stay tension

"Walt" wrote in message
For my boat, I keep the forestay very loose with several inches of sag.
Then I raise the jib on shore and tension the rig to 150 lbs as measured
by a Loos gauge - at this point the forestay is completely slack. This
gives me a nominal setting which I mark, and I'll go up or down from
there as needed. The jib halyard is tweaked constantly while sailing
(every 30 to 60 seconds) as conditions dictate - more tension for
pointing, less for speed, and quite slack when sailing off the wind.

Hey, Walt! .You are a dinghy sailer and you have the time to tweak your jib
_halyard_ every 30-60 seconds???
When do you get time to tweak your main and jibsheet, not to mention the
rudder and also looking for the next windshift and/or gusts while also
keeping your eye on your opponents?. Plus sitting her out to keep level
etc.?
My racing has been in lively heavily canvassed 12-14' dinghies and once the
jib is up and the halyard tensioned that is how it remained while other
things occupied my whole time.

jlrogers±³© January 31st 07 12:16 AM

Stay tension

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
. net...
"Maxprop" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
. ..
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com..
.

On Jan 26, 6:17 pm, "Scotty"
wrote:
Here's a pic of my rigger checking the tension on my
stays.

http://www.badongo.com/pic/430785

Scotty

That picture is old. Her name is Caroline and she is now
in her fifties.

Not buying it. The model is in her teens in the photo, maybe 20 max.
And that Lewmar-type hatch in the photo hasn't been around for thirty
years or more.

Max

She was 35 in the picture. The body was built by ballet.

Do you know that for a fact? If she really was 35, she'd done well to
stay in such awesome shape.

Max

It's fact. Ask some of the folks from Clearwater, Kemah, or Galveston. She
now lives in California and writes screen plays.

--
jlrogers±³©

Maxprop January 31st 07 02:24 AM

Stay tension

"Scotty" wrote in message
I'm starting to worry about Max, first he's spouting gay
rights and now he's arguing about nails with Ellen.

Scotty

Sorta hard to be married to a woman for 34 years and not pick up a tidbit or
two of info.

As for gays, I simply fail to see how they've damaged society or trampled
your rights. I generally feel sorry for them--they've chosen a lifestyle
that is fraught with all sorts of problems and issues. But I'm no bigot.
YMMV.

Max

Maxprop January 31st 07 02:27 AM

Stay tension

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Walt" wrote
BTW, dinghy sailors know how to tune rig tension ourselves. We don't
need a $110/hr consultant to do it for us.

How do you do it? Do you sail on one tack with about a 20knot wind and
check the leeward shrouds and tighten the turnbuckles until there's no
slack.

Well, it's like this "Ellen." You pull on the little white strings that run
through the pulleys until something goes "boing."

What a phony crock of dog feces you are, Neal. And a closet queen.

Max

Ellen MacArthur January 31st 07 02:32 AM

Stay tension

"Maxprop" wrote
As for gays, I simply fail to see how they've damaged society or trampled your rights. I generally feel sorry for
them--they've chosen a lifestyle that is fraught with all sorts of problems and issues. But I'm no bigot. YMMV.

Chosen? That's not what you said before, Maxprop. You said they didn't have
any choice. You said they were born homosexual because of chemicals and genes
and couldn't help it.
Are you a liar or just forgetful? Did you vote for the 83 billion before you
voted against it?

Cheers,
Ellen

sakenbake January 31st 07 02:28 PM

Stay tension

"Maxprop" wrote in message
hlink.net.

"Scotty" wrote in message
I'm starting to worry about Max, first he's spouting gay
rights and now he's arguing about nails with Ellen.

Scotty

Sorta hard to be married to a woman for 34 years and not

pick up a tidbit or
two of info.

bet you even wash the dishes sometimes.

Scotty

Walt January 31st 07 02:39 PM

Stay tension

Edgar wrote:

Hey, Walt! .You are a dinghy sailer and you have the time to tweak your jib
_halyard_ every 30-60 seconds???

Yep. It's led back into the cockpit on both sides with a 12-1 purchase
so I don't have to move to reach it. Likewise the vang which is also
tweaked fairly often. Between the two, it's how you "switch gears" to
keep the rig powered up optimally.

When do you get time to tweak your main and jibsheet, not to mention the
rudder and also looking for the next windshift and/or gusts while also
keeping your eye on your opponents?. Plus sitting her out to keep level
etc.?

It's a balancing act. What's most important? Well, all the things you
mention are more important than tuning the rig, and anyone who's
fiddling with strings while ignoring these items is not going to do
well. But it doesn't take much time or effort to reach down and tweak
the rig - well, once you have the centrols installed to make it easy to
do from the cockpit, that is.

My racing has been in lively heavily canvassed 12-14' dinghies and once the
jib is up and the halyard tensioned that is how it remained while other
things occupied my whole time.

I used to sail that way. But once I started tuning on the fly I started
doing much better.

The halyard tension greatly affects sail shape. Take a look at this
picture (not me)
http://www.albacore.org/USA/images/3_MegaWoofPlanes.jpg and observe
the curve in the jib luff - this 'sag' affects the overall shape of the
sail, and the amount of sag is a function of rig tension and wind speed.
Since I mostly sail on inland lakes where the wind is *always* changing
I have to adjust the halyard a lot to keep the jib shape where I want
it. A different boat, more steady wind, and maybe it's not so important...

//Walt

Maxprop February 1st 07 02:55 AM

Stay tension

"sakenbake" wrote in message
. ..

"Maxprop" wrote in message
hlink.net.
..

"Scotty" wrote in message
I'm starting to worry about Max, first he's spouting gay
rights and now he's arguing about nails with Ellen.

Scotty

Sorta hard to be married to a woman for 34 years and not

pick up a tidbit or
two of info.

bet you even wash the dishes sometimes.

Sometimes?