posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Rare shark!

"Corrupted Nutsack" wrote
Jesus, you're retarded, more so than that ****ing fich.

I'm retarded? You can't even spell *fish*. Duh! And please don't use the Lord's
name in vain.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 24, 4:22 pm, "Ellen MacArthur"
wrote:
"katy" wrote

It's a shark....haven't you ever seen a hammerhead? I thought you were
in Florida? Hammerhead sharks have sort of like fins on the sides of
their heads. The eyes

are out on the end of them. But their heads are still streamlined if you
look at them
from the front. They are like streamlined stalks or wings. It's sorta like
having an
extra set of fins like porpoises have on their sides where the arms used
to be before
they went back into the sea and evolved. But hammerheads have them on
their heads.

Cheers,
Ellen

Shark skin saves naval industry money

Covering ship hulls with artificial shark skin could help ships sailing
smoothly. The growth of marine organisms such as barnacles on ship
hulls is a major cause of increased energy costs in the naval industry.
Shark skin offers a structural design that prevents this so called
'bio-fouling'.
Ralph Liedert from the University of Applied Sciences, Bremen, Germany,
is presenting his work on the application of artificial shark skin in a
new anti-fouling strategy at the Society for Experimental Biology
Annual Main Meeting in Barcelona [session A7.66].

Shark skin comprises scales that can flex individually from each other.
Liedert produced a synthetic shark skin of elastic silicone, which has
a significantly decreased contact surface.

This reduced contact surface makes it harder for barnacles to attach,
and reduces fouling by 67%. When applied to the ship hull, this
artificial surface enables ships to ´self-clean´, and a speed of 4-5
knots would remove all organisms attached with little adhesion.

Until recently, paints containing a biocide were used to prevent growth
on submerged surfaces, but these were banned because of the the toxic
effect of the highly toxic and unspecific biocide component on marine
life.

As barnacles, mussels and algae cause up to 15% increase in the drag
resistence of ships, this research is providing an alternative
anti-fouling strategy of great importance.

Joe

Now that's interesting. I wonder if a shark-skin suit will people off my
back?

--
jlrogers±³©

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 24, 5:40 pm, Jeff wrote:
Joe wrote:
Shark skin saves naval industry money

Covering ship hulls with artificial shark skin could help ships sailing
smoothly. The growth of marine organisms such as barnacles on ship
hulls is a major cause of increased energy costs in the naval industry.
Shark skin offers a structural design that prevents this so called
'bio-fouling'....

You really should attribute things like this; otherwise its just
plagiarism.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/200...runc_sys.shtml

Nahh, you will find the link and post it for me..

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote
Until recently, paints containing a biocide were used to prevent growth
on submerged surfaces, but these were banned because of the the toxic
effect of the highly toxic and unspecific biocide component on marine
life.

Duh! That's a lie. You can still buy anti-fouling paint around here. They
have biocides in them.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote
Shark skin comprises scales that can flex individually from each other.
Liedert produced a synthetic shark skin of elastic silicone, which has
a significantly decreased contact surface.

Too bad ships hulls don't flex. If they do they're too thin. It won't work
if the hull doesn't flex. Duh! Maybe it would work on MacGregor hulls?

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote
You really should attribute things like this; otherwise its just plagiarism.

I think plagiarism is when you try to take credit for something somebody
else said. Everybody knows Joe's not a shark skin researcher. He'd never be
able to come up with the shark skin thing on his own. I think he was right not
to give the source. It's embarrassingly dumb and it'll never work.
You have two choices. 1--Kill the growth with poison paint or 2--Get it off with
a scraper, scrub brush and sandpaper but you have to do it about every month.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Jeff" wrote
You really should attribute things like this; otherwise its just
plagiarism.

I think plagiarism is when you try to take credit for something
somebody
else said. Everybody knows Joe's not a shark skin researcher. He'd never
be
able to come up with the shark skin thing on his own. I think he was right
not
to give the source. It's embarrassingly dumb and it'll never work.
You have two choices. 1--Kill the growth with poison paint or 2--Get it
off with
a scraper, scrub brush and sandpaper but you have to do it about every
month.

Cheers,
Ellen

I use to have a boss that once a month would invite some of his employees to
his lake house to go sailing. Then he'd hand them brushes and scrapers and
put them to work on his boat. Very few ever accepted twice.

--
jlrogers±³©

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
. net...
"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in

message

reenews.ne
t...

I use to have a boss that once a month would invite some

of his employees to
his lake house to go sailing. Then he'd hand them brushes

and scrapers and
put them to work on his boat. Very few ever accepted

twice.

When I was a teen, I had a boss with a big motor yacht. At
haulout he'd take three of the lowest paid shop guys down on
a Saturday to wax/polish it. We got paid overtime and were
happy to do it.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Jan 27, 8:39 am, "Scotty" wrote:
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in rodigy.net... "Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
w.readfreenews.ne
t...

I use to have a boss that once a month would invite some

of his employees to
his lake house to go sailing. Then he'd hand them brushes

and scrapers and
put them to work on his boat. Very few ever acceptedtwice.

When I was a teen, I had a boss with a big motor yacht. At
haulout he'd take three of the lowest paid shop guys down on
a Saturday to wax/polish it. We got paid overtime and were
happy to do it.

Scotty

I pay you a low wage plus 1/2 to come over and wax/polish something of
mine!

Gay

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote

I pay you a low wage plus 1/2 to come over and wax/polish something of
mine!

Gay

I put this jerk Capt. JG in the blocked senders list. But now he's probably got kicked
off Supernews and has another ISP. Hee heee! Gilligan was talking like he was gonna
get gayganz tossed off. It looks like he succeeded. So now I'll just have a good
laugh and block sender one more time. It's easy enough to do.... Now, if only he'd get
a good case of the AIDS so we can be rid of him once and for all.

Cheers,
Ellen

Oh the shark bites with its teeth, dear... William Bruce General 5 March 20th 05 03:06 PM
Shark Skin Inspires Bottom Job Scott Vernon ASA 1 March 10th 05 07:38 PM
Rare First edition SCUBA Magazine F.A. on Ebay! Joe Boater Electronics 0 December 5th 03 05:54 AM
Father Killed By Shark Bobsprit ASA 0 September 19th 03 05:37 PM
shark attack superbob ASA 0 July 8th 03 09:27 PM