posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Salvaging or scavenging?

On Jan 24, 12:47 pm, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:21:21 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 24, 11:42 am, Jeff wrote:

The difference of our opinion's probly arise because we are thinking
on different levels.

I'm thinking on the level of a small yacht owner, like almost everyone

With the recent "Salvaging or Scavenging" on the British shore I
assumed we were discussing salvage in general, and specifically the
beached booty. Only jon brought up small craft towing, guess because he
has that endorsement on his ticket. When he told me he had a towing
endorsement I thought he had a freight and towing
endorsement...bwahahahahahahahaaa.

Sure Joe. I think you just got lazy in your thinking. JLR was talking about
theft, not salvage.

I think anyone who pulls salvage on another mariner on his personal
yacht in peril is a scumball, unless thats his profession or the boat
was abandoned and it's not needed anyway.

That's a gross over-generalization. Don't you think someone should be
compensated for taking time and risk, and expending effort?That is exactly why there is such a thing as "Salvage". It was

designed to encourage people to take risks to help others in distress.
I thought all sailors knew that...

Exactly..

Now what I'd ask people like Jon and Jeff is ..When do you decide to be
a salvor, or a fellow mariner helping another?

I have very clear drawn lines...Do you?

Joe
CWM- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com..
..

Sure they should Jon, but it should not be expected or

required.
Mariners are suppose to help each other out...thats the

law of the sea
IMO. You do for another at sea what you would like them to

do for you.

Unless the boat has NY plates on it.

Nellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:

However if I owned any equipment, that in the regular course of work my
operators found a way to give me, or my company 1.5 million dollars out
of the blue without any extra wear or tear on my equipment, because
they went the extra mile...I would reward them very well for thier
efforts. What comes around goes around. I understand many people do not
think this way...

I agree with you Joe, if everyone thought and acted that way we wouldn't
need unions!

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:

I think anyone who pulls salvage on another mariner on his personal
yacht in peril is a scumball, unless thats his profession or the boat
was abandoned and it's not needed anyway.

Huzzah, what he said!! A true Good Samaritan.

Cheers
Marty
Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
web gateway!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Nellen MacArthur" wrote
Unless the boat has NY plates on it.

Manheim, PA. Isn't that where Scotty's from? roflmsvao

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 24, 12:47 pm, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:21:21 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 24, 11:42 am, Jeff wrote:

[...]

I'm sure you do have very clearly drawn lines, and I don't. Clearly drawn
lines are fine if the issues are clear. If they're not, they get in the way
of common sense.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Let's review what Jolly said....ready.....ok... "When is it salvage and
when is it stealing?" and " thanks".

I think you got lazy when you started to think.

Trying thinking some more. You're the one who decided to put both your feet
in your mouth when you defined the clear lines by using the Lloyds contract
form. That form is not appropriate for the vast majority of small craft
issues.

I think anyone who pulls salvage on another mariner on his personal
yacht in peril is a scumball, unless thats his profession or the boat
was abandoned and it's not needed anyway.

That's a gross over-generalization. Don't you think someone should be
compensated for taking time and risk, and expending effort?

Sure they should Jon, but it should not be expected or required.
Mariners are suppose to help each other out...thats the law of the sea
IMO. You do for another at sea what you would like them to do for you.
If your any kind of a man, you make sure the person who helped you gets
compensated for his efforts.

If you agree, then you just contradicted yourself! We all know that we're
required to help fellow boaters, but there are limits to the requirement,
and if one decides that one needs to be compensated for extenuating
circumstances, a good contract is a good idea. Some people are not
fair-minded and a contract is good way of making sure they act
appropriately. Just because you have a contract doesn't mean you're limited
to what you'll insist on collecting.

You're getting thick as a brick lately Jonboy. Most small boat owners
in the USA are not professional mariners, you are a classic example. In
my words,I will post again.....ready....ok..."unless thats his
profession or the boat was abandoned and it's not needed anyway".

In other words, your Lloyds contract isn't worth it and best not used. If
one has to use a contract to feel more secure, one based and enforced by US
jurisdiction would be more appropriate; thus, the one I mentioned from
BoatUS.

In other words Jon IMO it's ok for a person to set up a biz rescuing
weekend warriors, and he may need a tool to make sure he gets paid, and
if the boat is abandoned than I have no pity for the person who
abandoned the vessel.

Sorry, but this has to be in at least pigeon English before I can understand
it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

"Nellen MacArthur" wrote
Unless the boat has NY plates on it.

Manheim, PA. Isn't that where Scotty's from?

roflmsvao

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

We are not talking about our job, or the work we were

hired to do. We
went above and beyond for the company. It was a windfall

for the
company due to our extra efforts. If I handed you a 1.5

million
dollars, because when I was driving your truck, I picked

up howard
hughes hitchhicking ...how much would you give me? Keep in

mind I did
not have to tell you squat.

mmmm, prolly about 50k. You should be grateful you got
anything.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 24, 1:07 pm, Martin Baxter wrote:
Joe wrote:

I think anyone who pulls salvage on another mariner on his personal
yacht in peril is a scumball, unless thats his profession or the boat
was abandoned and it's not needed anyway.Huzzah, what he said!! A true Good Samaritan.

Cheers
Marty

Yes indeed.

I would pull a contract on any commerical boat. Or any professional
staffed yacht.
Working mariners get paid, and if I'm helping someone earn his keep
then I want my cut and then some.

Joe