posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Sleeping man hits whale..No steel hull = sunk

A SAILOR whose yacht was destroyed by a humpback whale off New Zealand
said he had got a good "vibe" from the giant mammal and thought it was
trying to say sorry, local media said today.

Lindsay Wright was sailing his brand-new 10-metre trimaran, named Loose
Goose, about 80 nautical miles off the west coast of North Island
yesterday when he hit the whale.

Mr Wright said he had been sleeping when he was awoken by a loud noise
and rushed up on deck to find himself staring at a whale's head about a
foot away.

"I got good vibes off him. I thought he was trying to say sorry mate, I
didn't mean to," Mr Wright said on New Zealand television.

He said the whale, a large male in a pod of about six humpbacks, had
hit his yacht with its tail, opening a large hole in one of the boats's
three hulls.

"When I first saw him I thought he had come back for the coup de
grace," Mr Wright told AAP.

Mr Wright activated a distress beacon as his yacht took on water and
lost electrical power. He was winched to safety aboard a rescue
helicopter about five hours later, Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio
said.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote

He said the whale, a large male in a pod of about six humpbacks, had
hit his yacht with its tail, opening a large hole in one of the boats's
three hulls.

That means he's still got two good hulls. I think the whale knocked a hole
in the middle hull because of losing electrical power. They put the batteries
in the middle hull I'd guess. So probably the hole probably wasn't in one
of the akas (or is it almas?) Funny how trimaran people always brag about
how safe and seaworthy their boats are. They say you can get a hole in one
or two hulls and still stay afloat so you can make repairs and limp to port.
How come a hole in one hull makes the boat have to be abandoned?

Four more questions:
1 - Are most sailors these days wimps who pack it in at the first hint of adversity?
2 - His it got to the point where when somebody stubs his toe he sets off his EPIRB?
3 - Should sailors who go offshore be required to pass a proficiency test?
4 - Because of their unsafe record should multihulls be restricted to near shore waters?

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" scribbled thusly:
A SAILOR whose yacht was destroyed by a humpback whale off New Zealand
said he had got a good "vibe" from the giant mammal and thought it was
trying to say sorry, local media said today.

Drinking that funny Kool-Aid will do that to ya....

Mr Wright activated a distress beacon as his yacht took on water and
lost electrical power. He was winched to safety aboard a rescue
helicopter about five hours later, Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio
said.

From his boat or from a liferaft?

OzOne wrote:
Hmmmm, hit a submerged object at very high speed in a tri.
Ripped the centreboard back thru the case about 18".
Main hull fi;lled to just above the sole and we sailed home supported
by the other hulls.

That's an advantage of multihulls... redundancy

This boat must have been very badly setup with batteries in the bilge
to lose electrical power.

From the sound fo teh story, he could have drained his batteries

playing loud music (Grateful Dead or Phish bootlegs probably) and
radioing for help. The collision might have had nothing to do with his
loss of electrical power!

And anyway, somebody should give Joe a clue that 1- they don't build
multihulls out of steel because it's too heavy (ie too weak & limp) and
2- if anybody did, it might not sink after a collision because it'd be
going too slow anyway.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

How!

Do big-em injun have water walker? Or Injun Ear just puff-in big smoke?

RedCloud have very sharp wamp-um, and make sushi if strike-um whale.
RedCloud also faster than Mustang pony.

Joe

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)