posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default OT // Browser bridge ads

Does anybody know how to block the browser bridge ads? They redirect you to ads when you leave a page
and go to another. The ads steal the focus and count down from ten seconds and then go away. Or you can click a
link to make them go away but they take about ten seconds anyway. You get them from your ISP.
Read about them he http://www.121media.com/advertisers.htm
Pop Up Stopper isn't stopping them, Ad Aware isn't stopping them either. IE popup blocker doesn't stop them.
You can't even block them in a firewall because they use a bogus domain http://cv.sysip.net which ARIN says doesn't
exist and is available....
These ads make me mad. Somebody must know how to get rid of them for good.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote
Does anybody know how to block the browser bridge ads?

I just reported it to Pop Up Stopper customer support. Maybe they'll know how to get rid of them...
You have to pay an ISP to use the internet and now they make you watch their own ads. That should be
illegal.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:16:00 -0500, "Ellen MacArthur"
wrote:

Does anybody know how to block the browser bridge ads?

No, but you could try this, Neal:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

They redirect you to ads when you leave a page
and go to another. The ads steal the focus and count down from ten seconds and then go away. Or you can click a
link to make them go away but they take about ten seconds anyway. You get them from your ISP.
Read about them he http://www.121media.com/advertisers.htm
Pop Up Stopper isn't stopping them, Ad Aware isn't stopping them either. IE popup blocker doesn't stop them.
You can't even block them in a firewall because they use a bogus domain http://cv.sysip.net which ARIN says doesn't
exist and is available....
These ads make me mad. Somebody must know how to get rid of them for good.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote
No, but you could try this....
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

I downloaded the zip file and extracted them. But, I looked in the folder where my hosts file
was supposed to be but there was just a tiny 1 kb file called hosts. There was a sample hosts and
a couple more. I opened the hosts file with notepad and this is all that's in it.

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

If I put the big one full of all the ad websites in its place it still won't do any good unless it has
the domain for the ads I'm getting. I did the "find" thing for sysip but it came up negative. So the
domain http://cv.sysip.net is fake. I tried to find it on ARIN and it said it didn't exist and was
available for sale.
So, what if I just add this domain into my host file like this.

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 http://cv.sysip.net # pain in the butt pop up ads from ISP

Will it stay there or does Windows write a new hosts file every time it opens? And where's my hosts file?
XP can't change names to numbers with my hosts file because there's none in there. I don't understand this.
The one I pasted up there must not be it.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

[...]

You did something wrong.
1. Extract the zip files to a new folder. There will be five files in the
new folder.
2. Double click mvps.bat This will install the new hosts file in
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
3. The file will be 514k
4. add any url's you want to block.

--
jlrogers±³©

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 08:14:24 -0500, "Ellen MacArthur"
wrote:

[...]

I only tried it for the first time last night with one address to
block some of the ads that have spoilt yahoo mail and it worked after
some fiddling.

Just add the line
127.0.0.1 http://cv.sysip.net # pain in the butt pop up
ads from ISP
as you say to the file windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts (for XP)
using notepad and reboot. You may need to delete the IE cache -
ToolsInternet optionsgeneralDelete temporary
files..etc.deletetemporary intenet filesdelete. (IE7)

The problem I had was that windows XP would not let me rename or save
the file hosts. This can be locked by various programs that I have
such a Spybot. In my case I had to unistall ZoneAlarm to get at the
file.

Hosts stays there and is loaded at boot. There is a utility on the
page I gave that can swap between a hosts file that blocks ads and the
standard one that does not.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Rename

Sam Spade gives the DNS of http://cv.sysip.net as 64.127.103.40 if
you want to block it another way.

Cheers.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote
You did something wrong.
1. Extract the zip files to a new folder. There will be five files in the new folder.
2. Double click mvps.bat This will install the new hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
3. The file will be 514k
4. add any url's you want to block.

Thanks, but I didn't do anything yet other than look at the files with notepad.
I don't need a bazillion ads blocked. I don't mind most ads. I just can't stand the
bridge ads that come up for ten seconds at a time when I navigate from one web
page to another. When they come up I right click them and the properties say they
are from cv.sysip.net but that domain doesn't exist according to ARIN. So somehow
they're faking it.
I don't think I'll do the batch file thing and substitute the very large hosts file from
the zip file for the one I have. I'll just let the computer get the translations from my ISPs
DNS server ( I just read in an article I googled that's how its done if your hosts file is
itty bitty). But I do want to block the cv.sysip.net so it stops the bridge ads.
It looks to me all I have to do is edit the host file I already have in the etc. folder with
notepad and just add one more line after the one that says: 127.0.0.1 localhost.
So it would look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost.
# stuff I added
127.0.0.1 cv.sysip.net # pain in the butt pop up ads from ISP

That should do it, shouldn't it.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote
The problem I had was that windows XP would not let me rename or save
the file hosts. This can be locked by various programs that I have
such a Spybot. In my case I had to unistall ZoneAlarm to get at the
file.

Hosts stays there and is loaded at boot. There is a utility on the
page I gave that can swap between a hosts file that blocks ads and the
standard one that does not.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Rename

Sam Spade gives the DNS of http://cv.sysip.net as 64.127.103.40 if
you want to block it another way.

Thanks much. That link is kewl. Just switch between hosts files.
I tried to look in the batch file with notepad but the only option I got was to open it and I didn't
want to open it because then it would do its thing and install the very large hosts file. But, it wouldn't
surprise me if the batch file takes care of any other program locking the hosts file.
I bet I could write my own hosts file and put it into the files from the unzipped folder
after I removed their great big hosts file to the desktop for a minute and then let the batch
file install my custom hosts file....

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

[...]

Yes, if the file is in the right place. I run the mvps host with all the
included blocks. Works great. See below for info on

cv.sysip.net = [ 64.127.103.40 ]

Domain Name.......... sysip.net
Creation Date........ 2006-03-03
Registration Date.... 2006-03-03
Expiry Date.......... 2007-03-03
Organisation Name.... Ahmet Can
Organisation Address. P O Box 99800
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. EmeryVille
Organisation Address. 94662
Organisation Address. CA
Organisation Address. US
Admin Name........... PrivateRegContact Admin
Admin Address........ P O Box 99800
Admin Address........
Admin Address........ EmeryVille
Admin Address........ 94662
Admin Address........ CA
Admin Address........ US
Admin Email..........

Admin Phone.......... 1.5105952002
Admin Fax............
Tech Name............ PrivateRegContact TECH
Tech Address......... P O Box 99800
Tech Address.........
Tech Address......... EmeryVille
Tech Address......... 94662
Tech Address......... CA
Tech Address......... US
Tech Email...........

Tech Phone........... 1.5105952002
Tech Fax.............
Name Server.......... ns1.121media.com
Name Server.......... ns2.121media.com

Asked whois.arin.net:43 about +64.127.103.40)

OrgName: Global Netoptex Inc
OrgID: GLOBA-10
Address: 100 Park Center Plaza
Address: Suite 365
City: San Jose
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 95113
Country: US
NetRange: 64.127.96.0 - 64.127.127.255
CIDR: 64.127.96.0/19
NetName: GLOBAL-NETOPTEX-INC
NetHandle: NET-64-127-96-0-1
Parent: NET-64-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.GLOBALNETOPTEX.COM
NameServer: NS2.GLOBALNETOPTEX.COM
Comment: 24x7 NOC at

RegDate: 2003-09-12
Updated: 2004-05-11
RAbuseHandle: ABUSE627-ARIN
RAbuseName: Abuse Contact
RAbusePhone: 1-408-289-9395
RAbuseEmail:

RNOCHandle: NOCCO2-ARIN
RNOCName: NOC Contact
RNOCPhone: 1-408-289-9395
RNOCEmail:

RTechHandle: ARINA9-ARIN
RTechName: ARIN-ADMIN
RTechPhone: 1-408-289-9395
RTechEmail:

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE627-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Abuse Contact
OrgAbusePhone: 1-408-289-9395
OrgAbuseEmail:

OrgNOCHandle: NOCCO2-ARIN
OrgNOCName: NOC Contact
OrgNOCPhone: 1-408-289-9395
OrgNOCEmail:

OrgTechHandle: ARINA9-ARIN
OrgTechName: ARIN-ADMIN
OrgTechPhone: 1-408-289-9395
OrgTechEmail:

CustName: People on Page
Address: 7817 NE 124th Street
City: Kirkland
StateProv: WA
PostalCode: 98034
Country: US
RegDate: 2004-04-25
Updated: 2004-04-25
NetRange: 64.127.103.32 - 64.127.103.63
CIDR: 64.127.103.32/27
NetName: PEOPLEONPAGE1
NetHandle: NET-64-127-103-32-1
Parent: NET-64-127-96-0-1
NetType: Reassigned
Comment:
RegDate: 2004-04-25
Updated: 2004-04-25
RAbuseHandle: ABUSE627-ARIN
RAbuseName: Abuse Contact
RAbusePhone: 1-408-289-9395
RAbuseEmail:

RNOCHandle: NOCCO2-ARIN
RNOCName: NOC Contact
RNOCPhone: 1-408-289-9395
RNOCEmail:

RTechHandle: ARINA9-ARIN
RTechName: ARIN-ADMIN
RTechPhone: 1-408-289-9395
RTechEmail:

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE627-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Abuse Contact
OrgAbusePhone: 1-408-289-9395
OrgAbuseEmail:

OrgNOCHandle: NOCCO2-ARIN
OrgNOCName: NOC Contact
OrgNOCPhone: 1-408-289-9395
OrgNOCEmail:

OrgTechHandle: ARINA9-ARIN
OrgTechName: ARIN-ADMIN
OrgTechPhone: 1-408-289-9395
OrgTechEmail:

ARIN WHOIS database last updated 2006-12-16 19: 10
Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

--
jlrogers±³©

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote

Yes, if the file is in the right place. I run the mvps host with all the included blocks. Works great. See below for
info on

cv.sysip.net = [ 64.127.103.40 ]

big snipperoo

Thanks for all the info. I wonder why my ARIN link couldn't find it? Maybe my ISP's DNS redirects to a bogus
ARIN to try to keep people from finding out about cv.sysip.net????? Hmmmm, and the plot gets deeper....
Makes you think maybe what they're doing is illegal.

Cheers,
Ellen